Greece has at least 60 billion euros in unpaid taxes because of tax evasion and lack of compliance, the European Commission says.
Horst Reinchenbach, the head of the EU task force behind the report, told euronews half of the missing money is still being contested in the courts.
“Of this 60 billion that’s being contested, there are law cases on about half of them and there is not a final agreement on others, so the reality is only 8 billion is really immediately collectable and that is what needs to be done other the next few months.”
Estimated to be about a quarter of Greek GDP, the EU also said the problem won’t be solved overnight.
“These reforms, of course, are not to be done in a few months, the planning for achieving a concrete results will start from 2011 to 2013,” Reinchenbach added.
Greece’s total public debt is a massive 370 billion euros, or 160 percent of its annual output.
It’s the first report by the EU Commission’s Task Force which was sent to Athens to help Greek authorities identify and push through reform.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]