Greece has at least 60 billion euros in unpaid taxes because of tax evasion and lack of compliance, the European Commission says.
Horst Reinchenbach, the head of the EU task force behind the report, told euronews half of the missing money is still being contested in the courts.
“Of this 60 billion that’s being contested, there are law cases on about half of them and there is not a final agreement on others, so the reality is only 8 billion is really immediately collectable and that is what needs to be done other the next few months.”
Estimated to be about a quarter of Greek GDP, the EU also said the problem won’t be solved overnight.
“These reforms, of course, are not to be done in a few months, the planning for achieving a concrete results will start from 2011 to 2013,” Reinchenbach added.
Greece’s total public debt is a massive 370 billion euros, or 160 percent of its annual output.
It’s the first report by the EU Commission’s Task Force which was sent to Athens to help Greek authorities identify and push through reform.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Battles rage for Donetsk airport despite Ukraine ceasefire | euronews, world news