Greece has at least 60 billion euros in unpaid taxes because of tax evasion and lack of compliance, the European Commission says.
Horst Reinchenbach, the head of the EU task force behind the report, told euronews half of the missing money is still being contested in the courts.
“Of this 60 billion that’s being contested, there are law cases on about half of them and there is not a final agreement on others, so the reality is only 8 billion is really immediately collectable and that is what needs to be done other the next few months.”
Estimated to be about a quarter of Greek GDP, the EU also said the problem won’t be solved overnight.
“These reforms, of course, are not to be done in a few months, the planning for achieving a concrete results will start from 2011 to 2013,” Reinchenbach added.
Greece’s total public debt is a massive 370 billion euros, or 160 percent of its annual output.
It’s the first report by the EU Commission’s Task Force which was sent to Athens to help Greek authorities identify and push through reform.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
- 20Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news