17/11/11 16:22 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Greece has at least 60 billion euros in unpaid taxes because of tax evasion and lack of compliance, the European Commission says.
Horst Reinchenbach, the head of the EU task force behind the report, told euronews half of the missing money is still being contested in the courts.
“Of this 60 billion that’s being contested, there are law cases on about half of them and there is not a final agreement on others, so the reality is only 8 billion is really immediately collectable and that is what needs to be done other the next few months.”
Estimated to be about a quarter of Greek GDP, the EU also said the problem won’t be solved overnight.
“These reforms, of course, are not to be done in a few months, the planning for achieving a concrete results will start from 2011 to 2013,” Reinchenbach added.
Greece’s total public debt is a massive 370 billion euros, or 160 percent of its annual output.
It’s the first report by the EU Commission’s Task Force which was sent to Athens to help Greek authorities identify and push through reform.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 7Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 8Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed