Rivals for the Republican nomination to run for US President next year took a tough line in a televised debate on foreign policy.
Front-runner Mitt Romney saved some of his strongest rhetoric for Iran’s nuclear ambitions.
“One thing you can know, and that is if we re-elect Barack Obama, Iran will have a nuclear weapon, and if we elect Mitt Romney, if you elect me as the next president, they will not have a nuclear weapon,” he declared.
Many polls put Newt Gingrich hot on Romney’s heels. Both said they would use military force against Iran if necessary.
Meanwhile Herman Cain and Michele Bachmann came out for waterboarding – classified as torture by many of America’s closest allies.
“If I were president, I would be willing to use water boarding. I think it was very effective. It gained information for our country,” said Bachmann.
In his reply, Cain insisted: “I would return to that policy. I don’t see it as torture, I see it as an enhanced interrogation technique.”
That comment put Cain, who has been hit by sex allegations, on top in some polls.
And Rick Perry was also judged to have put in a good performance.
He has been working flat out – and spending an awful lot of money lately – to recover from a memory lapse in an earlier debate that no-one seemed willing to forget.
Images of Perry failing to remember the third of three ministries he would cut if he were elected have been viewed over and over again.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Putin promises to hunt down killers of opposition figure Boris Nemtsov
- 2‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 3Jailed Kurdish leader calls for and end to the PKK’s armed struggle against Turkey
- 4Stand-off at ‘anti-islamisation’ march in northeastern England
- 5Japan: Was brutal murder of boy, 13, inspired by ISIL?
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Russian opposition politician Boris Nemtsov shot dead in Moscow
- 3Fierce anti-Kremlin critic Boris Nemtsov shot dead in Moscow
- 4Woman missing at sea after freak waves at Game of Thrones set location
- 5Thousands rally in Athens as Syriza faces backlash over bailout
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 5English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 9International news | euronews, latest international news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 12Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 13Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 14Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 15Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 16‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 17Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20‘Europe’s interests come first’, says new Greek government | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 13:10 CET Three arrested at Hong Kong anti-China protest, scuffles with…
- 13:07 CET Egypt election committee working on new poll timetable
- 12:47 CET Mali signs peace deal, rebels want more time for consultation
- 12:40 CET Police in Germany’s Bremen release two arrested over Islamist…
- 11:43 CET CCTV shows British schoolgirls at Istanbul bus station on way to…
- 11:30 CET Bangladesh pays tribute to U.S. blogger killed in machete attack
- 11:20 CET Russians to march in memory of murdered critic of Putin
- 08:32 CET Activist monk seeks Buddhism overhaul in Thailand over corruption…