Rivals for the Republican nomination to run for US President next year took a tough line in a televised debate on foreign policy.
Front-runner Mitt Romney saved some of his strongest rhetoric for Iran’s nuclear ambitions.
“One thing you can know, and that is if we re-elect Barack Obama, Iran will have a nuclear weapon, and if we elect Mitt Romney, if you elect me as the next president, they will not have a nuclear weapon,” he declared.
Many polls put Newt Gingrich hot on Romney’s heels. Both said they would use military force against Iran if necessary.
Meanwhile Herman Cain and Michele Bachmann came out for waterboarding – classified as torture by many of America’s closest allies.
“If I were president, I would be willing to use water boarding. I think it was very effective. It gained information for our country,” said Bachmann.
In his reply, Cain insisted: “I would return to that policy. I don’t see it as torture, I see it as an enhanced interrogation technique.”
That comment put Cain, who has been hit by sex allegations, on top in some polls.
And Rick Perry was also judged to have put in a good performance.
He has been working flat out – and spending an awful lot of money lately – to recover from a memory lapse in an earlier debate that no-one seemed willing to forget.
Images of Perry failing to remember the third of three ministries he would cut if he were elected have been viewed over and over again.
- 1Tony Blair to step down as Middle East representative
- 2Eastern Ukraine: separatists ‘will not push for independence,’ says spokesperson
- 3‘Rampant corruption:’ US orders arrest of senior FIFA executives
- 4Jack Warner turns himself in after being accused of corruption in FIFA scandal
- 5Saudi-led airstrikes kill at least 80 in Yemen
- 1‘Rampant corruption:’ US orders arrest of senior FIFA executives
- 2Obama denounces Russia’s ‘increasingly aggressive posture’ on Ukraine
- 3Bunny beaten to death live on Danish radio
- 4Chancellor Merkel heads Forbes most powerful women list – again!
- 5Swiss police arrest several senior Fifa executives in a morning raid at a five-star hotel in Zurich
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 8Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 16Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 17Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 18Recharging without cables: the road ahead for electric cars
- 19Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > News
- 13:51 CET Pentagon mulls improving Iraqi troop training after fall of Ramadi
- 13:40 CET Asia’s migrant crisis meeting unlikely to yield solutions
- 13:36 CET Commander of elite Tajik police force defects to Islamic State
- 13:31 CET U.S. training of Syria rebel fighters expands to Turkey – source
- 12:57 CET Western women who join Islamic State defy ‘jihadi bride‘…
- 12:55 CET Iran’s Zarif hopes for nuclear deal within ‘reasonable period of…
- 12:40 CET Pressure mounts on Blatter as FIFA scandal widens
- 12:09 CET Germany drops war crimes case against former SS soldier due to…