It has brought the world everyone from The Beatles to Queen, Kate Perry and Coldplay. Now EMI is to have yet another new owner – or actually two.
Universal Music is to aquire the recorded music side of EMI, including the legendary Abbey Road studios in London for 1.4 billion euros from Citigroup. The music publishing operation is being sold separately, probably to Sony.
Many in music hope EMI is just being sold – not sold out. Pete Hutchison from independent label, Peacefrog Records said: “I hope that EMI continues in the shape and form it’s in now because they’re a good company. We use them for our distribution. Really good people. As long as it carries on, it’s a good thing.”
The move has pleased the Rolling Stones who left EMI for Universal in 2008. Frontman Mick Jagger said he was glad the company was again being run by people who had music in their blood.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 11:52 CET Swiss consumer prices fall by most in 56 years
- 11:48 CET L’Oreal trims cosmetics market forecast for 2015
- 11:36 CET Airbus orders reach 754 jets after August surge
- 11:35 CET GVC trumps 888 with 1.06 billion pounds bid for Bwin
- 10:40 CET Australia court fines Visa arm 8.26 million pounds, cites…
- 10:36 CET Mercedes-Benz August deliveries rise 53.1 percent in China
- 10:23 CET Investors buckle up for expected drop in China’s forex reserves
- 10:14 CET UK new car registrations up 9.6 percent in August – SMMT