The United Nations has accused Sudan of launching an attack on a refugee camp in the recently-established independent state of South Sudan.
The UN statement gives credence to claims by South Sudan that Sudan is orchestrating cross-border attacks on its troops near the frontier.
UN peacekeeping chief, Herve Ladsous said: “On November 9 UNMISS was informed by the government of South Sudan that up to nine bombs had been dropped in the area of Bew Quaffa and Yafta in Maban County, Upper Nile State.”
Sudan rejects the claim, accusing elements from the South of trying to cause trouble in the north.
The Sudanese Ambassador to the UN, Daffa-Alla Elhag Ali Osman, admitted Khartoum had persued what it described as “rebel movement” in the Blue Nile region but said once they had crossed the border into that action had stopped.
And he insisted: “We fully respect the sovereignty of and the territorial integrity of the South, but we have every right to repel the rebels who raise arms and try to create instability in the North.”
South Sudan seceded in July after a protracted civil war that left some two million people dead.
It claims Khartoum dropped bombs on a camp in Unity State near the border.
A Reuters correspondent said he heard a large explosion in the Yida refugee camp which houses around 20,000 people. Witnesses said there were three further explosions.