The Basque separatist group ETA says it is willing to discuss surrendering its weapons, more than two weeks after it announced a definitive end to its four-decade armed campaign.
Regional newspaper Gara quoted two ETA spokesmen on Friday as saying that “the laying down of arms is on the agenda” if the government is willing to talk. The report says ETA is “willing to accept compromises.”
However, the Spanish government has yet to respond to the request for negotiations. It described last month’s ceasefire announcement as “meaningless” unless ETA gave up its weapons. The group has broken ceasefires in the past.
ETA’s armed struggle to create an independent Basque homeland has claimed the lives of more than 800 people.