A village on one of Spain’s Canary Islands has been evacuated because of the threat of an eruption of an underwater volcano.
The increasingly strong seismic activity has prompted the authorities to put the area around La Restringa on red alert and the rest of the island on yellow alert.
El Hierro is the smallest of the Canary Islands with around 11,000 residents. Since the seismic activity began back in July there have been more than 10,000 tremors.
The number of people being moved from their homes in the village of La Restringa is between five and six hundred.
“We didn’t have time to prepare anything, we just took what was most necessary,” said one woman. Another said: “Some clothes, medicines, the deeds to the house, that’s all they told us.”
It is the second time in a month that the villagers have had to move out of their homes. The civil authorities are describing this latest evacuation as a precautionary step.
The last time a volcano fully erupted in the Canaries was in 1971.
- 1YPG militia alliance set to attack ISIL stronghold Raqqa “within weeks”
- 2Dutch PM calls on Russia to cooperate with MH17 probe
- 3Three Israelis killed in Jerusalem in day of violence
- 4Brussels wants Hungary’s answers over migrants crackdown
- 5Six-hundred-year-old Henry V warship ‘found in English river’
- 1Putin adds diplomatic strand to bolster Syrian air strikes
- 2Russian cruise missiles strikes prompt global aviation officials to issue safety alerts
- 3Russia tries to reassure Saudi Arabia over Syria air strikes
- 4Iraqi military claims to have killed several senior ISIL members including leader al – Baghdadi
- 5Belarus election: Lukashenko wins landslide of more than 80 percent – exit polls
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 3Latest News Bulletin
- 4At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 5Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 6[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 10Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 11Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 12Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 13Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 14Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 15[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 16Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
- 17Fifa suspends Blatter, Platini and Valcke
- 18Kicked down in Hungary, saved by Spain
- 19Catalan president Artur Mas charged with organising illegal independence referendum
- 20Hungary’s army can shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at refugees
Wires > News
- 03:58 CET Rousseff accuses Brazil opposition of ‘coup-mongering’
- 02:52 CET Chile fires starting gun on new constitution
- 02:25 CET Kerry to visit Mideast in bid to calm Palestinian-Israeli tensions
- 02:20 CET Search in Guatemala landslide ends with 280 dead, 70 missing
- 00:33 CET Syria’s army, allies plan offensive against insurgents in Aleppo
- 00:20 CET Blasts in northeast Nigeria’s Maiduguri kill at least seven – Red…
- 00:05 CET U.S., Australia rebuff China over South China Sea
- 23:36 CET Exclusive – Syrian army, allies preparing attack in Aleppo area…