A village on one of Spain’s Canary Islands has been evacuated because of the threat of an eruption of an underwater volcano.
The increasingly strong seismic activity has prompted the authorities to put the area around La Restringa on red alert and the rest of the island on yellow alert.
El Hierro is the smallest of the Canary Islands with around 11,000 residents. Since the seismic activity began back in July there have been more than 10,000 tremors.
The number of people being moved from their homes in the village of La Restringa is between five and six hundred.
“We didn’t have time to prepare anything, we just took what was most necessary,” said one woman. Another said: “Some clothes, medicines, the deeds to the house, that’s all they told us.”
It is the second time in a month that the villagers have had to move out of their homes. The civil authorities are describing this latest evacuation as a precautionary step.
The last time a volcano fully erupted in the Canaries was in 1971.
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 3Missing EgyptAir flight made no “swerves” before crashing – Cairo
- 4French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
EgyptAir crash: forensics suggest ‘explosion on board’ – Egyptian official
Greece begins evacuation of Idomeni refugee camp
Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
Austria’s president-elect talks of uniting his divided country
Missing EgyptAir flight made no “swerves” before crashing – Cairo
Wires > News
- 11:38 CET Yemen university bomb kills gardener, injures two students
- 11:37 CET Key economy figures kept in new Turkish cabinet, Erdogan keeps…
- 11:36 CET Saudi court hands death sentence to man convicted of 2004 attack…
- 11:25 CET Japan sales tax, snap poll in focus as Abe prepares for G7 summit
- 11:22 CET Insight – In Iran, dividends of nuclear deal are slow to appear
- 11:15 CET Myanmar poet’s jail term “like from the old days”
- 11:10 CET Pit collapse kills at least 13 in Myanmar jade-mining district
- 10:55 CET French police break up refinery blockade in anti-reform showdown