Several people have been killed and dozens injured in an horrific pile-up on the busy M5 motorway in Somerset. Numerous vehicles caught fire.
Some 27 cars and trucks were involved in the pile-up, which happened during heavy rain and fog.
Police closed off the M5 near Taunton in both directions and drivers have been advised to avoid the area.
Officers describe the pile-up as one of the worst they have ever seen.
One man at the scene said: “It is an absolute tragedy, you just can’t think what people are going through, just waiting to see what has happened or who is in the wreckage, so we just hope that they can get as many people out as possible and hopefully we’ll get it cleared up.”
Another man said: “We were driving down the road and saw what we thought was a bonfire in fact, but obviously it transpired to be vehicles that were on fire and have been for hours now.”
Wires > News
- 07:39 CET Outrage in multi-ethnic Malaysia as government backs Islamic law
- 06:59 CET U.S. forces in Okinawa hold month of mourning for murdered…
- 06:22 CET Mexico drug boss Chapo files legal challenge against extradition -…
- 06:11 CET Pakistani PM to undergo heart surgery in London
- 04:23 CET Argentine court finds 15 guilty in Operation Condor conspiracy
- 03:07 CET Colombia’s ELN rebels free three kidnapped journalists
- 02:31 CET Global airport trade group opposes new checkpoints after attacks
- 02:19 CET Lebanese Hezbollah ministers, MPs could be hit by U.S. law – …