Several people have been killed and dozens injured in an horrific pile-up on the busy M5 motorway in Somerset. Numerous vehicles caught fire.
Some 27 cars and trucks were involved in the pile-up, which happened during heavy rain and fog.
Police closed off the M5 near Taunton in both directions and drivers have been advised to avoid the area.
Officers describe the pile-up as one of the worst they have ever seen.
One man at the scene said: “It is an absolute tragedy, you just can’t think what people are going through, just waiting to see what has happened or who is in the wreckage, so we just hope that they can get as many people out as possible and hopefully we’ll get it cleared up.”
Another man said: “We were driving down the road and saw what we thought was a bonfire in fact, but obviously it transpired to be vehicles that were on fire and have been for hours now.”
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Wires > News
- 22:57 CET U.S., Russia discuss Syria cooperation if Assad halts some strikes
- 22:35 CET U.S.-backed rebel group vows new attacks against IS after border…
- 22:33 CET Italy elected to U.N. council for 2017 in deal with Netherlands
- 22:10 CET U.S. lawmakers push for action on human rights in Bahrain
- 21:59 CET Saudi Arabia ‘alarmed and outraged’ by rights groups’ criticism
- 21:47 CET Argentina, Peru seek closer energy ties with Chile
- 21:35 CET Nigeria’s Buhari urges Delta leaders to calm region after attacks
- 21:27 CET Trump raises questions about Bill Clinton meeting amid probe