Several people have been killed and dozens injured in an horrific pile-up on the busy M5 motorway in Somerset. Numerous vehicles caught fire.
Some 27 cars and trucks were involved in the pile-up, which happened during heavy rain and fog.
Police closed off the M5 near Taunton in both directions and drivers have been advised to avoid the area.
Officers describe the pile-up as one of the worst they have ever seen.
One man at the scene said: “It is an absolute tragedy, you just can’t think what people are going through, just waiting to see what has happened or who is in the wreckage, so we just hope that they can get as many people out as possible and hopefully we’ll get it cleared up.”
Another man said: “We were driving down the road and saw what we thought was a bonfire in fact, but obviously it transpired to be vehicles that were on fire and have been for hours now.”
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Wires > News
- 23:52 CET Russia delays U.N. council condemnation of North Korea missile…
- 23:10 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq
- 21:53 CET Proposed Irish government to prioritise spending over tax cuts -…
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks
- 19:47 CET Israeli who abducted, killed Palestinian teen gets life term