Now Reading:

More deaths in Syria despite approval of Arab League plan

world news

More deaths in Syria despite approval of Arab League plan


Opposition groups in Syria are urging even more protesters to take to the streets on Friday after the agreement of a deal with the Arab League failed to stop the violence.

Activists claim more than a dozen people were killed in Homs alone, despite the state’s backing of an agreement to withdraw tanks from the cities, talk with the opposition and end the crackdown.

Mohamad Salman is a former Syrian Information Minister and is now head of the National Democratic Initiative. He said both sides need to be willing to make the plan work.

He said: “We in the National Initiative call on the authorities to work very seriously to execute this commitment to solve the crisis. Also, we call on all opposition parties to act in harmony and work together to make this agreement successful.”

On Wednesday Syria’s representative to the Arab League told the group the initiative had been accepted and would be implemented within two weeks.

However, it is now clear that no timetable for the plan has been agreed.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article