Florian Albert the legendary Hungarian footballer has died aged 70 after complications following heart surgery last week.
Often described as one of the most elegant footballers he became European footballer of the year in 1967 winning 75 international caps and scoring 31 goals.
He played against Pele and Brazil in an all stars rest of the world team in 1968 and before that had topped the scoring charts in the 1962 World Cup. His entire career was spent at one club, Ferencvaros where he scored 256 goals in 351 league appearances.
He helped the side to four league titles and led them to Fairs Cup glory in 1965. The club named their stadium after the legendary forward in 2007.
To football fans in his home country he was known as, ‘The Emperor’ and is the only Hungarian to have won the prestigious Ballon d’or.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1McLaren medics rule Alonso out of F1 season opener in Melbourne
- 2Dortmund continue Bundesliga revival as PSV stumble in the Dutch title race
- 3Lin Dan is back
- 4Commission uncovers systematic doping in German football dating back to the 70’s and 80’s
- 5Sunderland’s Adam Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with a minor
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 18Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 19Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > Sport
- 16:49 CET Petrov to return to Villa in coaching role
- 16:16 CET I didn’t spit at Cisse, says United defender Evans
- 14:17 CET Vettel hopes Ferrari can be Mercedes’ closest rivals
- 13:37 CET Dumped F1 driver takes action against Sauber – reports
- 13:29 CET Indian board warns Kohli against repeat of misbehaviour
- 13:23 CET Arsenal in familiar territory, leading the chasing bunch
- 12:50 CET India’s Ashwin mulls ‘one-sided’ ploy against big-hitters
- 11:53 CET Sunderland manager Poyet charged with improper conduct