Florian Albert the legendary Hungarian footballer has died aged 70 after complications following heart surgery last week.
Often described as one of the most elegant footballers he became European footballer of the year in 1967 winning 75 international caps and scoring 31 goals.
He played against Pele and Brazil in an all stars rest of the world team in 1968 and before that had topped the scoring charts in the 1962 World Cup. His entire career was spent at one club, Ferencvaros where he scored 256 goals in 351 league appearances.
He helped the side to four league titles and led them to Fairs Cup glory in 1965. The club named their stadium after the legendary forward in 2007.
To football fans in his home country he was known as, ‘The Emperor’ and is the only Hungarian to have won the prestigious Ballon d’or.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Wires > Sport
- 23:09 CET Isner beats ailing Baghdatis to win Atlanta title again
- 22:40 CET Drucker sprints to RideLondon-Surrey classic win
- 21:55 CET China’s Qiu equals Louganis record
- 21:28 CET Gomez wins in Rio amid concern over roads
- 21:04 CET Arsenal get morale-boosting win over Chelsea
- 20:19 CET De Jong double lifts PSV to Dutch Super Cup glory
- 19:43 CET Athletics roiled by mass doping allegations after blood test leak
- 18:38 CET Italy’s Berlusconi agrees AC Milan stake sale by end Sept