Florian Albert the legendary Hungarian footballer has died aged 70 after complications following heart surgery last week.
Often described as one of the most elegant footballers he became European footballer of the year in 1967 winning 75 international caps and scoring 31 goals.
He played against Pele and Brazil in an all stars rest of the world team in 1968 and before that had topped the scoring charts in the 1962 World Cup. His entire career was spent at one club, Ferencvaros where he scored 256 goals in 351 league appearances.
He helped the side to four league titles and led them to Fairs Cup glory in 1965. The club named their stadium after the legendary forward in 2007.
To football fans in his home country he was known as, ‘The Emperor’ and is the only Hungarian to have won the prestigious Ballon d’or.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 5Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 8NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 11Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 12Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 13Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 14The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 17Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 18Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 19Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 20Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 01:58 CET European roundup-City and Barca turn heat up on leaders
- 23:27 CET Rangers manager McCoist leaves club
- 19:08 CET Ajax leave it late to polish off struggling Excelsior
- 18:51 CET Rossouw gets South Africa test call-up
- 17:49 CET Villarreal beat Deportivo 3-0 with Vietto double
- 16:22 CET Marseille head into break as leaders after beating Lille
- 15:25 CET Analysis – Club World Cup still a hit outside Europe
- 14:56 CET FIFA official says England had best bid for 2018 World Cup