Florian Albert the legendary Hungarian footballer has died aged 70 after complications following heart surgery last week.
Often described as one of the most elegant footballers he became European footballer of the year in 1967 winning 75 international caps and scoring 31 goals.
He played against Pele and Brazil in an all stars rest of the world team in 1968 and before that had topped the scoring charts in the 1962 World Cup. His entire career was spent at one club, Ferencvaros where he scored 256 goals in 351 league appearances.
He helped the side to four league titles and led them to Fairs Cup glory in 1965. The club named their stadium after the legendary forward in 2007.
To football fans in his home country he was known as, ‘The Emperor’ and is the only Hungarian to have won the prestigious Ballon d’or.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 6French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 7International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 8eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 9Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 13ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 14Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 15Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 18[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 19Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > Sport
- 12:56 CET Ding pays maximum penalty for concentration lapse
- 12:09 CET Murray pleased with choice of Queen’s as Davis Cup venue
- 11:45 CET We’ve let ourselves down this term, says City keeper Hart
- 04:39 CET Two-cap Wallaby Betham joins European exodus
- 00:23 CET I’ve improved as a batsman, says England’s off form Cook
- 00:16 CET Fiorentina slump to defeat at home to Verona
- 00:08 CET Britain’s Jockey Club makes healthy profit in 2014
- 22:25 CET Canada will act to keep doping agency WADA in Montreal – source