Florian Albert the legendary Hungarian footballer has died aged 70 after complications following heart surgery last week.
Often described as one of the most elegant footballers he became European footballer of the year in 1967 winning 75 international caps and scoring 31 goals.
He played against Pele and Brazil in an all stars rest of the world team in 1968 and before that had topped the scoring charts in the 1962 World Cup. His entire career was spent at one club, Ferencvaros where he scored 256 goals in 351 league appearances.
He helped the side to four league titles and led them to Fairs Cup glory in 1965. The club named their stadium after the legendary forward in 2007.
To football fans in his home country he was known as, ‘The Emperor’ and is the only Hungarian to have won the prestigious Ballon d’or.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 20Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 04:46 CET Competition for places key for Japan, says Halilhodzic
- 03:23 CET New Zealand’s Mills follows Vettori into retirement
- 01:44 CET Real Madrid agree deal to buy Porto defender Danilo
- 01:41 CET Ko’s consistency a major topic at Mission Hills
- 01:35 CET Webb, Tseng not ready to concede spotlight to new breed
- 00:24 CET Second-string Portugal suffer home defeat to Cape Verde
- 00:00 CET Townsend earns late draw against Italy
- 23:33 CET Wasps’ Hughes banned for Champions Cup quarter-final