Florian Albert the legendary Hungarian footballer has died aged 70 after complications following heart surgery last week.
Often described as one of the most elegant footballers he became European footballer of the year in 1967 winning 75 international caps and scoring 31 goals.
He played against Pele and Brazil in an all stars rest of the world team in 1968 and before that had topped the scoring charts in the 1962 World Cup. His entire career was spent at one club, Ferencvaros where he scored 256 goals in 351 league appearances.
He helped the side to four league titles and led them to Fairs Cup glory in 1965. The club named their stadium after the legendary forward in 2007.
To football fans in his home country he was known as, ‘The Emperor’ and is the only Hungarian to have won the prestigious Ballon d’or.
- 1Cancellara in yellow; Greipal wins stage 2 of the Tour de France
- 2Horror crash mars Tour de France as Britain’s Froome earns leader’s yellow jersey
- 3Mongolia and Japan call the shots at Ulaanbaatar Judo Grand Prix
- 4Solid gold Hamilton speeds silver arrow to victory at Silverstone.
- 5Ulaanbaatar Judo Grand Prix visitors impress in Mongolia
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 10Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 11NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 13‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 14Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 19Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 20Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
Wires > Sport
- 01:20 CET Andy Murray plays with pups in sniffer-dog video
- 01:17 CET Caddie booted from U.S. Women’s Open for photos
- 01:00 CET Los Angeles stages raucous rally for U.S. women’s football team
- 00:04 CET Gerrard says he is not in Los Angeles for a holiday
- 22:51 CET Radwanska’s grasscourt pedigree helps her reach semis
- 22:50 CET Atletico sign Argentine forward Vietto from Villarreal
- 22:12 CET Cocktail of talent helps Muguruza reach semis
- 18:58 CET Wimbledon’s famous strawberries now come…as mush