Florian Albert the legendary Hungarian footballer has died aged 70 after complications following heart surgery last week.
Often described as one of the most elegant footballers he became European footballer of the year in 1967 winning 75 international caps and scoring 31 goals.
He played against Pele and Brazil in an all stars rest of the world team in 1968 and before that had topped the scoring charts in the 1962 World Cup. His entire career was spent at one club, Ferencvaros where he scored 256 goals in 351 league appearances.
He helped the side to four league titles and led them to Fairs Cup glory in 1965. The club named their stadium after the legendary forward in 2007.
To football fans in his home country he was known as, ‘The Emperor’ and is the only Hungarian to have won the prestigious Ballon d’or.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 8Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 15How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 16EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 20Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
Wires > Sport
- 16:49 CET Guptill, Latham fifties keep New Zealand in touch
- 16:48 CET Hull boss Bruce hoping for a favour in survival fight
- 16:11 CET Heaven or hell? Monaco GP offers a vision of both
- 16:03 CET Formula One means business in Monaco
- 15:57 CET ‘VCB’ready to run faster than ever after doping ordeal
- 15:10 CET Summer Games federations chastise SportAccord chief
- 14:12 CET Formula One faces call to end alcohol sponsorship
- 14:06 CET Israel briefly detains travelling Palestine player