An ancient Sican tomb has been discovered in the north west of Peru. The tomb is thought be around 900 years old and to have been built for someone very high profile.
Carlos Wester, an archaeologist with the team, said: “The dig started last February and in the zone we call ‘The Palace’, a chamber had been detected. This led to the discovery of the tomb of someone very important, dating from around the 12th century AD, whose burial was preceded by a series of offerings.”
Lots of pieces of pottery have been found in the tomb. These items will help experts research burial traditions and they also hope to discover more about the life of the person who was buried here. The tomb was found in an area which is known for having ceremonial significance.
Carlos Wester said: “We found the actual tomb at the burial level. First we found a copper and silver crown, then a copper mask with tears flowing from it, a necklace of discs, and other copper ornaments.”
As well as these beautiful copper objects, the team also found other signs that the person buried here must have been important: a ceremonial throne, a small temple and the burial sites of some less important people.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
latest science news
Retreating ice reveals climate secrets on Qori Kalis glacier
Italy’s army bringing down the cost of getting high on medical marijuana
Powerful MRI scanners could predict diseases
Sardinian thistles play key role in bioplastics
Cardiac microchip provides advance warning of future heart problems