At least seven people have been reported missing in northern Italy after torrential rain caused flooding and landslides in of Liguria and Tuscany on Tuesday.
Several villages have been hit by high water levels. The amount of damage is as yet unknown.
Transport links have also been affected. The A12 motorway between Carrodano and Borghetto Vara was shut due to mudslides.
Phone lines have been brought down and there have been power cuts in some areas.
Authorities have evacuated hundreds of people from their homes for safety reasons.
Local police forces have been placed on high alert as the bad weather sweeps south.
Wires > News
- 10:15 CET Two Tunisians killed in landmine blast near Algerian border -…
- 10:13 CET Bahrain toughens jail term on opposition leader to nine years -…
- 10:10 CET U.S.-backed Syrian alliance widens offensive near IS capital
- 09:58 CET EU’s Juncker plans to visit Russia in June
- 09:18 CET More than 20 killed in series of bombings in Baghdad, police says
- 09:07 CET Turk formin to launch process of re-opening Tripoli embassy -…
- 09:04 CET Three people killed in flooding in southwestern Germany
- 09:01 CET New photo of Japanese hostage appears with message pleading for…