The Luxor obilisk, which towers over the Place de la Concorde in Paris, was installed on 25 October 1836. The monument was a gift from the Viceroy of Egypt, Mehmet Ali. It was one of a pair of obilisks that had adorned the entrance to the temple of Luxor and which had been given to France in 1830. The task of transporting the ancient structure fell to the engineer Apollinaire Lebas. It began its epic voyage in December 1831 and landed in Toulon in May 1833, before finally arriving in Paris the following year.
King Louis-Phillipe 1 chose the Place de La Concorde as the obilisk’s final resting place to help change the bloody image of the site. It was there that Louis XVI, Marie-Antoinette and other victims of the French Revolution met their end under the blade of the guillotine in 1793.
The pink granite monument, measuring 23 metres in height and weighing 230 tonnes, was erected using what was then state-of-the-art elevating machinery. The royal family joined a large crowd that had gathered to watch the historic event.
Images of the installation were engraved on the base of the obilisk, replacing the original carvings of baboons with their sex organs covered up. They were considered too indecent for the sensibilities of the time, but are now on display in the Louvre.
Ownership of the obilisk, which never made it to France, was given back to Egypt by President Francois Mitterand during the 1980s.
Also on 25 October: the French cavalry was annihilated by England’s King Henry V at the battle of Agincourt (1415); Britain invaded the Transvaal in (1900); France’s Centre National de la Cinematograhpie was created (1946); Uganda joined the United Nations (1962).
Born on October 25: the Austrian composer Johann Strauss (1825); the Spanish painter Pablo Picasso (1881), and the American singer Kate Perry (1984).
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 2Putin denies he wants to create a new Iron Curtain
- 3Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 4Clashes as Hong Kong protesters try to regain lost ground
- 5Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 11European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 17Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 20Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 12:28 CET EU’s Juncker survives no confidence vote in EU parliament
- 12:26 CET New parliament coalition proposes Yatseniuk stays on as PM
- 12:25 CET Suicide bomber kills five in attack on British embassy car in…
- 12:15 CET Iran Supreme Leader says not opposed to extension of nuclear talks
- 12:08 CET South Asia summit salvaged after handshake by leaders of India…
- 12:05 CET Greece tows migrant-packed ship to safety off Crete
- 12:03 CET Suspects face French trial for hit-and-run death of Israeli woman
- 11:50 CET Aim of sanctions not to bash Russian economy – German foreign…