The Luxor obilisk, which towers over the Place de la Concorde in Paris, was installed on 25 October 1836. The monument was a gift from the Viceroy of Egypt, Mehmet Ali. It was one of a pair of obilisks that had adorned the entrance to the temple of Luxor and which had been given to France in 1830. The task of transporting the ancient structure fell to the engineer Apollinaire Lebas. It began its epic voyage in December 1831 and landed in Toulon in May 1833, before finally arriving in Paris the following year.
King Louis-Phillipe 1 chose the Place de La Concorde as the obilisk’s final resting place to help change the bloody image of the site. It was there that Louis XVI, Marie-Antoinette and other victims of the French Revolution met their end under the blade of the guillotine in 1793.
The pink granite monument, measuring 23 metres in height and weighing 230 tonnes, was erected using what was then state-of-the-art elevating machinery. The royal family joined a large crowd that had gathered to watch the historic event.
Images of the installation were engraved on the base of the obilisk, replacing the original carvings of baboons with their sex organs covered up. They were considered too indecent for the sensibilities of the time, but are now on display in the Louvre.
Ownership of the obilisk, which never made it to France, was given back to Egypt by President Francois Mitterand during the 1980s.
Also on 25 October: the French cavalry was annihilated by England’s King Henry V at the battle of Agincourt (1415); Britain invaded the Transvaal in (1900); France’s Centre National de la Cinematograhpie was created (1946); Uganda joined the United Nations (1962).
Born on October 25: the Austrian composer Johann Strauss (1825); the Spanish painter Pablo Picasso (1881), and the American singer Kate Perry (1984).
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 3Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different?
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 16eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 17Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
Wires > News
- 07:06 CET Japan’s Abe seeks to showcase close U.S. ties on landmark visit
- 06:22 CET South Korea court finds ferry captain guilty of homicide for 304…
- 06:21 CET Japan PM won’t attend Russian WW2 ceremony – government spokesman
- 05:28 CET Baltimore erupts in riots after funeral of man who died in police…
- 05:06 CET China probes doctor over $18 million bribes, 100 houses
- 02:50 CET Kerry says Iran, world powers closer than ever to historic nuclear…
- 00:06 CET Mali pro-government militias seize northern town amid clashes
- 22:12 CET Gunman kills Bosnian policeman in apparent Islamist attack