The Spanish government says a cut in the country’s credit rating does not take into account how much is being done to rescue the economy.
Standard & Poor’s downgraded Spain by one notch to AA- but the country’s Treasury criticised the move, claiming the agency has not recognised Madrid’s ‘unprecedented structural reforms’.
These reforms, which include unpopular austerity measures, have reduced the deficit, but not by as much as planned. The figure is meant to have fallen to six percent by now, however, it still stands at nine percent.
The Spanish Economy Minister, Elena Salgado, said it was too early to judge the results: “We think the rating agency doesn’t fully appreciate the substance of our reform of the labour market. We think — and we’ve always said — that it’ll take time for these reforms of the labour market to show because they are profound reforms.”
A major concern continues to be Spain’s high unemployment rate which is over 20 per cent and was one of the reasons given for S&P’s downgrade decision.
The agency has also cut its economic growth prediction for Spain for next year from 1.5 per cent to just 1.0 percent.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 2Who is the EU’s worst at spending Brussels’ billions?
- 3ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 4New laws to ‘wipe out’ militants after Pakistan school massacre
- 5New Romanian President Klaus Iohannis vows to tackle corruption
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 3‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 4Australia: two hostages and gunman dead after police storm Sydney siege café
- 5ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 5Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 8NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 11Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 12The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 15Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 16Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 17Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 18Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
- 19Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 20Raids across Turkey target media outlets linked to Erdogan foe Fethullah Gulen | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 17:35 CET Cameroon army says dismantles Boko Haram training camp
- 17:26 CET Italy says breaks up neo-fascist group suspected of planning…
- 17:11 CET From Baltic to Asia, East-West aerial confrontations heat up
- 17:00 CET Police officers’ slaying raises pressure on New York mayor
- 15:55 CET Turkey’s Erdogan says birth control ‘treason’ against Turkish…
- 15:39 CET Russia watchdog blocks web pages calling for Navalny support…
- 14:54 CET U.S. leads 22 more air strikes against Islamic State – task force
- 14:28 CET Pope says Vatican administration is sick with power and greed