Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin on Tuesday said the jail term handed to former Ukrainian prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko was unfair.
Tymoshenko was sentenced by a court in Kiev to seven years in jail and barred from holding public office for three years.
Putin, who has declared he will stand again for his country’s presidency next year, told reporters in Moscow he could not comprehend the severity of the sentence.
“I do not understand why she was sentenced to seven years. Tymoshenko did not sign any contracts. The deals were signed between two commercial entities: Gazprom and its Ukrainian partner,” Putin said.
The European Union has also reiterated its condemnation of Tymoshenko’s trial.
Diplomats said the two-time premier’s criminal conviction could hamper planned free trade agreements with Kiev.
Jerzy Buzek, the president of the European Parliament, said: “If an appeal is possible, the verdict should be reconsidered.”
- 1‘Tourists go home’ say Spanish locals in backlash to holiday boom
- 2Fears grow for missing Japanese boy left in woods as punishment
- 3Belgium facing more strike chaos
- 4EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
- 5More transport chaos in France in standoff over labour reforms
Latest world news
Americans warned Euro 2016 and other major events could be terror targets this Summer – State Department
Golden State set up rematch of 2015 NBA finals after beating Oklahoma in decisive game seven
French strikes multiply as Euro 2016 nears
Public sector strike heightens industrial strife in Belgium
Migrant death toll in Mediterranean over past week ‘rises to 880’
Wires > News
- 17:50 CET Looming EU referendum casts shadow for British retirees in Spain
- 17:47 CET Turkey’s Erdogan says German law on Armenian genocide could damage…
- 17:45 CET In South Africa, boys more likely to be sexually abused than girls…
- 17:40 CET U.S. warns citizens of possible terrorist attacks in Europe
- 17:00 CET Attempted North Korea missile launch fails – South Korea
- 16:51 CET African envoys say Egyptian called sub-Saharan Africa ‘dogs and…
- 16:42 CET Turkey’s Erdogan says unsure what ‘first step’ Moscow wants to…
- 16:15 CET Doll confusion delays Israel-bound flight from Cyprus