Heavy fighting continues in Colonel Gaddafi’s home town of Sirte, after the new Libyan government forces launched their largest assault so far.
They have said this is the final push, and they will soon capture the last bastion of support for the deposed leader.
The NTC forces moved in with tanks on Friday morning and bombarded the city with heavy artillery, from their position just over one kilometre to the east.
At a field hospital away from the fighting, dozens of ambulances brought in the wounded, fighters and civilians alike. Most of them in a critical condition.
Thousands of others chose to flee the city, as the fighting intensified. It is believed that fewer than half the resident now remain there.
One man spoke of life in the city over the last three weeks: “They have been bombing us for 21 days, and just today I have got the chance to get out”
The residents fleeing the scene may be able to return before too long though, as the NTC said they expected to capture Sirte within hours.