The Nobel Prize for Literature has come home to Sweden for the first time in nearly four decades.
Swedish poet Tomas Transtroemer won this year’s award.
The jury praised Transtroemer’s “condensed, transluscent images”, saying they gave fresh access to reality.
The 80-year-old has been tipped on numerous occasions to win literature’s most prestigious award.
His work has been translated into more fifty languages.
Transtroemer lives in Vasteras, west of Stockholm with his wife Monica, who often speaks on his behalf. The poet suffered a stroke in 1990.
The last time Sweden won the prize was in 1974 when Eyvind Johnson and Harry Martinson shared the award.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Israel: Hamas praises Jerusalem attack which killed baby girl
- 2Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 3Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 4Police search for possible suspects following attack on Canada’s parliament
- 5Intruder sparks lockdown at the White House
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 16US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > News
- 21:03 CET Rwanda suspends BBC’s local radio service over genocide documentary
- 20:49 CET Attacks in Egypt’s Sinai kill at least 28 security personnel
- 20:46 CET Student opens fire at Washington state high school – report
- 20:42 CET No U.S. troop cuts without credible North Korea nuclear deal, says…
- 20:12 CET Vienna inaugurates monument to World War Two deserters
- 19:37 CET French court approves Kazakh tycoon Ablyazov’s extradition to…
- 19:27 CET Suspicious powder sent to western consulates in Istanbul -…
- 19:25 CET Palestinian boy shot dead by Israeli forces at West Bank protest