05/10/11 03:33 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Russia and China have used their veto against a European-drafted UN resolution condemning Syria. The move split the Security Council, revealing a fundamental difference in approach to the Assad regime’s six-month crackdown on anti-government demonstrations.
For Russia and China, threatening sanctions is too confrontational. Russian Ambassador to the UN, Vitaly Churkin said: “We believe it unacceptable the threat of sanctions against the Syrian authorities. It’s against the principle of a peaceful settlement on the basis of a full Syrian national dialogue.”
While Russia also claimed the move could have opened the door to a Libya-style military intervention, an outraged US counter claimed their veto was political.
Susan Rice, US ambassador to the UN did not mince her words: “This is not about military intervention, this is not about Libya. That is a cheap ruse by those who’d rather sell arms to the Syrian regime than stand with the Syrian people.”
While the protests continue across Syria, an unverified video showed support for the new Syrian opposition council recently formed in neighbouring Turkey.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
US college basketball loses coaching legend: Pat Summitt dies, aged 64
IKEA recalls millions of chests and dressers following link to children’s deaths
France: deadly fire engulfs chemical plant near Lyon
At least 28 people reported killed and 60 wounded in suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
Thousands protest in France as Senate approves controversial labour law
Wires > News
- 00:12 CET Clinton leads Trump by 11 points in U.S. presidential race -…
- 00:09 CET Canada presses China over reports of Hong Kong visa clamp down
- 23:44 CET Exclusive – Trump supporters more likely to view blacks…
- 23:11 CET Women subjected to torture by Mexican police, armed forces – report
- 23:07 CET Dutch PM Rutte wants ‘legally binding’ assurances over Ukraine…
- 23:01 CET Emergency call log details horror of Orlando nightclub shooting
- 22:55 CET Panel’s report reignites debate over Clinton and Benghazi
- 22:29 CET Exclusive – U.S. to upgrade Thailand in annual human trafficking…