Almost five years since the murder of Meredith Kercher in Perugia, the family of the British student were in Italy to hear an appeal court free American Amanda Knox and her former boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito.
Meredith’s brother Lyle Kercher said the family were puzzled with both the original trial and Monday’s result. “We accept the decision that was handed down yesterday, respect the court and obviously the Italian justice system,” he said.
“We do find we are now left looking at this again and thinking how a decision that was so certain two years ago has been so emphatically overturned, which raises other questions. It feels very much like back to square one. The search goes on to find out what really happened,” he added.
Meredith’s mother Arline Kercher spoke of the horror of what happened to her daughter in her Italian home in November 2007, saying: “Our lives have been disrupted. What happenend to my daughter Meredith is every parent’s nightmare of something so terrible happening when basically she was in the safest place – her bedroom.”
The 21-year-old student from south London had been attending university in Perugia as part of the Erasmus exchange programme when she was killed. At the time, she shared an apartment with Amanda Knox.
The prosecution in the case has announced it will appeal against the acquittal to Italy’s highest court. However, this has not prevented Knox from taking a flight bound for the US, via London, and it is not certain whether she would eventually be forced to return to Italy for any further appeal hearings. Italy and the US have an extradition treaty, but experts are divided on what would be the likely legal route taken.