An Italian appeal court has cleared Amanda Knox of murdering her British roommate Meredith Kercher in Perugia four years ago.
The American was convicted in 2009 along with her boyfriend at the time Raffaele Sollecito of murdering the Leeds University exchange student during a drug-fuelled sex game.
21-year-old Kercher’s body was found with more than 40 stab wounds in the apartment they shared.
A forensic science review dismissed police claims that damning traces of DNA were found on the kitchen knife identified as the murder weapon.
The appeal court quashed Knox’s 26 year jail term and the 25 year sentence Sollecito was serving and ordered that they be freed immediately.
A third defendant is still in jail.
Earlier Knox told the court: “I did not do the things they say I did. I did not kill, rape or steal. I was not there,” Knox said in Italian. “I want to go home. I want to go back to my life. I do not want to be punished. I do not want to be deprived of my life for something I did not do, because I am innocent.”
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 23D, 360° virtual reality is ready to launch – on an adult film
- 3Bombing in Syria not World War III, says Russia’s EU ambassador
- 4Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 5Syria: We believe that Russia has the wrong strategy, says US
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 10Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 13Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 14[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 15Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 18Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 19Migrant tripped up in Hungary gets Spanish football job
- 20Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
Wires > News
- 01:59 CET Student charged with killing one, wounding three at Arizona…
- 01:43 CET China says U.S. human rights report biased
- 01:11 CET Western countries say endorse unity government for Libya
- 00:56 CET Gunmen kill three Burkina Faso gendarmes near Mali border
- 00:26 CET Exclusive – U.S. warns governments, bankers Iran sanctions still…
- 23:57 CET Pre-election clash in Guinea capital kills two, wounds 33
- 23:14 CET Two alleged Hezbollah associates face U.S. arms, money laundering…
- 23:08 CET Protester killed in unrest in Iraq’s Kurdistan region