An Italian appeal court has cleared Amanda Knox of murdering her British roommate Meredith Kercher in Perugia four years ago.
The American was convicted in 2009 along with her boyfriend at the time Raffaele Sollecito of murdering the Leeds University exchange student during a drug-fuelled sex game.
21-year-old Kercher’s body was found with more than 40 stab wounds in the apartment they shared.
A forensic science review dismissed police claims that damning traces of DNA were found on the kitchen knife identified as the murder weapon.
The appeal court quashed Knox’s 26 year jail term and the 25 year sentence Sollecito was serving and ordered that they be freed immediately.
A third defendant is still in jail.
Earlier Knox told the court: “I did not do the things they say I did. I did not kill, rape or steal. I was not there,” Knox said in Italian. “I want to go home. I want to go back to my life. I do not want to be punished. I do not want to be deprived of my life for something I did not do, because I am innocent.”
- 1We will not be moved! Resistance to China’s urban spread [PHOTOS]
- 2British probe into child sex abuse reveals 1400 suspects
- 3Netanyahu supports call for a two-state solution with Palestinians
- 4ISIL controls more than half of Syria after seizing Palmyra
- 5EU refusal to accept migrant quotas ‘unacceptable’
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 8Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 15Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 16How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 17EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 18Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 19Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 20How World War II shaped modern Poland | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 04:04 CET Dispute over Mideast nuclear arms ban torpedoes U.N. conference
- 03:47 CET Clinton emails show concern about image after Benghazi
- 03:00 CET Activists damage habitat in Seattle bay during Shell oil protests
- 01:33 CET U.N. investigates reports of executions, abuses in Mali
- 00:56 CET West, Africa trade barbs on U.N. appeal against illicit small arms
- 22:49 CET Poland’s presidential candidates neck and neck before run-off
- 22:41 CET Wounded Egyptian soldier kidnapped and killed in Sinai – sources
- 22:34 CET Iran’s Yemen-bound aid ship docks in Djibouti, WFP to deliver aid…