An Italian appeal court has cleared Amanda Knox of murdering her British roommate Meredith Kercher in Perugia four years ago.
The American was convicted in 2009 along with her boyfriend at the time Raffaele Sollecito of murdering the Leeds University exchange student during a drug-fuelled sex game.
21-year-old Kercher’s body was found with more than 40 stab wounds in the apartment they shared.
A forensic science review dismissed police claims that damning traces of DNA were found on the kitchen knife identified as the murder weapon.
The appeal court quashed Knox’s 26 year jail term and the 25 year sentence Sollecito was serving and ordered that they be freed immediately.
A third defendant is still in jail.
Earlier Knox told the court: “I did not do the things they say I did. I did not kill, rape or steal. I was not there,” Knox said in Italian. “I want to go home. I want to go back to my life. I do not want to be punished. I do not want to be deprived of my life for something I did not do, because I am innocent.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Israel: Hamas praises Jerusalem attack which killed baby girl
- 2Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 3Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 4Police search for possible suspects following attack on Canada’s parliament
- 5Intruder sparks lockdown at the White House
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 16US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > News
- 03:32 CET U.S. general says he believes North Korea can build nuclear warhead
- 02:55 CET Two killed, four wounded in Washington state school shooting
- 02:10 CET Virginia remains identified as those of missing college student
- 01:25 CET U.S. says Palestinian-American killed by Israeli forces
- 01:17 CET Mali’s first Ebola case, a two-year-old girl, dies – officials
- 01:12 CET Attacks in Egypt’s Sinai kill 33 security personnel
- 23:26 CET Drone strike kills three al Qaeda-linked militants – tribal sources
- 22:42 CET At least four dead in escape bid at model Dominican Republic jail