An Italian appeal court has cleared Amanda Knox of murdering her British roommate Meredith Kercher in Perugia four years ago.
The American was convicted in 2009 along with her boyfriend at the time Raffaele Sollecito of murdering the Leeds University exchange student during a drug-fuelled sex game.
21-year-old Kercher’s body was found with more than 40 stab wounds in the apartment they shared.
A forensic science review dismissed police claims that damning traces of DNA were found on the kitchen knife identified as the murder weapon.
The appeal court quashed Knox’s 26 year jail term and the 25 year sentence Sollecito was serving and ordered that they be freed immediately.
A third defendant is still in jail.
Earlier Knox told the court: “I did not do the things they say I did. I did not kill, rape or steal. I was not there,” Knox said in Italian. “I want to go home. I want to go back to my life. I do not want to be punished. I do not want to be deprived of my life for something I did not do, because I am innocent.”
- 1Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
- 2Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
- 3Funeral of Whitney Houston’s daughter overshadowed by family feud
- 4Suspected MH370 flaperon arrives for identification at BEA, Toulouse
- 5Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > News
- 18:59 CET Brazil police arrest Lula minister in bribery scandal
- 18:36 CET U.S., allies stage 29 air strikes against Islamic State – statement
- 18:31 CET Libya probing guards seen in video beating jailed Gaddafi son
- 18:26 CET Dutch crane collapse demolishes houses, injuring at least 20
- 18:26 CET Kerry hopes for better Iran conduct after deal but it ‘may not…
- 17:56 CET Syria’s western-backed political opposition structure reelects…
- 17:43 CET India signs peace accord with militant tribal separatists
- 17:18 CET Sudan says willing to suspend verdicts against rebels who join…