An Italian appeal court has cleared Amanda Knox of murdering her British roommate Meredith Kercher in Perugia four years ago.
The American was convicted in 2009 along with her boyfriend at the time Raffaele Sollecito of murdering the Leeds University exchange student during a drug-fuelled sex game.
21-year-old Kercher’s body was found with more than 40 stab wounds in the apartment they shared.
A forensic science review dismissed police claims that damning traces of DNA were found on the kitchen knife identified as the murder weapon.
The appeal court quashed Knox’s 26 year jail term and the 25 year sentence Sollecito was serving and ordered that they be freed immediately.
A third defendant is still in jail.
Earlier Knox told the court: “I did not do the things they say I did. I did not kill, rape or steal. I was not there,” Knox said in Italian. “I want to go home. I want to go back to my life. I do not want to be punished. I do not want to be deprived of my life for something I did not do, because I am innocent.”
- 1Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 2Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 3Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 4Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 5Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 12‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 16Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 17Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 18Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
Wires > News
- 19:42 CET Chicago’s Fourth of July rituals – fireworks, gun deaths
- 19:32 CET 800 million still hungry and poor despite progress of millennium…
- 19:20 CET Bulgaria eyes Poland fighter deal to cut dependence on Russia
- 19:04 CET Insight – Iranian nuclear deal set to make hardline Revolutionary…
- 18:52 CET Cash urged for schools in crisis zones as refugee numbers surge
- 18:49 CET Zimbabwe’s Mugabe moves ‘devil incarnate’ information minister in…
- 18:40 CET Inside the Saudi prison that’s home to new wave of jihadis
- 17:40 CET Armenian protesters call for evening rally after police remove…