A court in Saudi Arabia has sentenced a woman to 10 lashes for breaking the country’s ban on female drivers.
The woman, identified only as Shema, was found guilty of driving in Jeddah in July.
Women2drive, a group campaigning for women to be allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia, says she has already lodged an appeal.
“I am very upset and disturbed… I believe that this is a message which intends to tell women that they will not get all their demands,” said Naila Attar, an activist and one of the women who organised the campaign Baladi (My Country), calling
for Saudi women to have the right to vote. “We are now working on a petition to the king … asking him to stop the lashing order,” she said.
The sentence was reported two days after Saudi King Abdullah granted women the right to vote and run in municipal elections. He also promised to include them in the next all-appointed consultative Shura Council in 2013.
“Flogging is a cruel punishment in all circumstances but it beggars belief that the authorities in Saudi Arabia have imposed lashes on a woman apparently for merely driving a car”, Philip Luther, an Amnesty regional deputy director, said in an emailed statement.
“Allowing women to vote in council elections is all well and good, but if they are still going to face being flogged for trying to exercise their right to freedom of movement, then the king’s much trumpeted ‘reforms’ actually amount to very little,” Luther said.
Two other women are also believed to be facing charges related to driving, the Amnesty statement said.
- 13D, 360° virtual reality is ready to launch – on an adult film
- 2French Riviera declared ‘disaster zone’ after deadly flash floods
- 3Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 4Russian air strike hits terrorist training camp in Syria, say defence officials
- 5Refugees tell of ISIL brutality which forced them to leave Syria
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 2Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 3NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 4France claims Russian jets have struck rebel, not IS forces in Homs
- 53D, 360° virtual reality is ready to launch – on an adult film
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 10Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 15Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 16Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 17International news | euronews, latest international news
- 18What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 19[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 20[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
Wires > News
- 01:58 CET Merkel, Hollande to present common front for EU in crisis
- 01:15 CET Kerry arrives in Haiti to offer U.S. support ahead of elections
- 00:41 CET Guinea-Bissau president rejects proposed government
- 00:33 CET Homicides in El Salvador rise 72 percent as gang violence increases
- 00:02 CET Burkina Faso court charges general, ex-minister over coup
- 23:10 CET Portuguese president asks Passos Coelho to form new government
- 23:05 CET Canada wives join electoral fray but lack Michelle Obama’s star…
- 22:56 CET Ivory Coast opposition candidate suspends participation in…