A court in Saudi Arabia has sentenced a woman to 10 lashes for breaking the country’s ban on female drivers.
The woman, identified only as Shema, was found guilty of driving in Jeddah in July.
Women2drive, a group campaigning for women to be allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia, says she has already lodged an appeal.
“I am very upset and disturbed… I believe that this is a message which intends to tell women that they will not get all their demands,” said Naila Attar, an activist and one of the women who organised the campaign Baladi (My Country), calling
for Saudi women to have the right to vote. “We are now working on a petition to the king … asking him to stop the lashing order,” she said.
The sentence was reported two days after Saudi King Abdullah granted women the right to vote and run in municipal elections. He also promised to include them in the next all-appointed consultative Shura Council in 2013.
“Flogging is a cruel punishment in all circumstances but it beggars belief that the authorities in Saudi Arabia have imposed lashes on a woman apparently for merely driving a car”, Philip Luther, an Amnesty regional deputy director, said in an emailed statement.
“Allowing women to vote in council elections is all well and good, but if they are still going to face being flogged for trying to exercise their right to freedom of movement, then the king’s much trumpeted ‘reforms’ actually amount to very little,” Luther said.
Two other women are also believed to be facing charges related to driving, the Amnesty statement said.
- 1‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 2Two commuter trains collide head-on in Germany
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4Refugees in Hungary offered classes to speed integration
- 5New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
- 1Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 2Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 3Aleppo: Germany and Turkey come up with a 10-point action plan
- 4Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 5One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Latest world news
Syria: UN warns of seige and starvation in Aleppo
Syria: Tens of thousands fleeing Aleppo remain stranded at Turkey border
Zuma’s legal battle latest stumble in error-filled second term
New Hampshire: Trump tipped to triumph, but everything still to play for
Spain: Princess Cristina and her husband in court, as defendants testify in fraud case
Wires > News
- 21:05 CET U.S. could limit collection of items left at Vietnam War memorial
- 20:51 CET North Korean shipping firm skirts U.N. sanctions, gets port access
- 20:48 CET EU executive to push Greece, Italy more on migration
- 20:45 CET U.N. fears for hundreds of thousands if Syria troops encircle…
- 20:39 CET Turkey summons U.S. envoy over comments on Kurdish PYD in Syria
- 20:19 CET Poland, courting NATO, plans to boost Middle East military…
- 20:02 CET Insurgents Trump and Sanders seek lift at New Hampshire primary
- 19:06 CET Exclusive – Damascus vows to recapture Aleppo from rebels