While Michel Platini was expressing satisfaction with Ukraine’s efforts ahead of Euro 2012, the pro-active Ukrainian women’s movement FEMEN staged a topless protest in Kiev against what they say are UEFA’s plans to turn their country into a destination for sex tourists from around the world.
One of the women said: “We are protesting against the mafia that is hiding behind this competition. We are against the men who are not just here to support their team, but to pay Ukrainian woman to sleep with them. Foreigners often mistake our country for a brothel and our women for prostitutes. I am afraid that some of those fans will not just come here to watch the tournament but many of them will probably be looking for cheap sex and this is why we are here today. Ukraine is not a brothel!”
Topless protests have been used on a number of occasions by FEMEN activists and according to reports, four of them were arrested after stripping to the waist outside Kiev’s main stadium.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Wires > Sport
- 20:08 CET Napoli sign Romania defender Chiriches from Spurs
- 19:54 CET Tanvir helps Pakistan secure easy T20 win over Sri Lanka
- 19:10 CET A new star is born as Germany’s refugee crisis worsens
- 17:25 CET Hamilton beats Raikkonen in popularity poll
- 17:03 CET Double strike leaves Australia facing a battle
- 16:55 CET Platini’s FIFA candidacy fails to excite Africa
- 16:05 CET IOC president reminds members about responsibilities
- 15:57 CET Rio Olympic athletes risk serious illness from polluted water – AP