BREAKING NEWS

Now Reading:

Mass grave from 1996 massacre found in Libya


Libya

Mass grave from 1996 massacre found in Libya

Libya’s new rulers have revealed a mass grave which they say contains the bodies of more than 1,200 people killed by Muammar Gaddafi’s security forces.

The victims are said to be inmates killed in Tripoli’s Abu Salim prison in 1996. They were gunned down after rising up against their jailers, survivors say. Protests linked to the notorious massacre ignited the uprising that eventually forced Gaddafi into hiding last month.

However, fighters loyal to Gaddafi are still putting up resistance, with reports they have attacked the town of Ghadames, on the border with Algeria.

Anti-Gaddafi fighters have still not taken control of Sirte, one of the fugitive leader’s last bastions. They had pushed close to its centre but later drew back, to let NATO war planes strike targets.

The wait is also continuing for the formation of a new caretaker government.

De facto Prime Minister Mahmoud Jibril told the UN on Saturday that Libya has been reborn, but it seems disagreements about the cabinet’s line-up still need to be resolved.

Next Article

world news

Yemeni president addresses the nation