Yemen’s President Ali Abdullah Saleh made no pledge to step down on Sunday, calling for early elections instead.
It was Saleh’s first speech to the nation since returning from Saudi Arabia on Friday where he had been receiving treatment for an injury after an assassination attempt in June.
He again said he intends to stick to a Gulf states’ proposal for a transfer of power, but has so far refused to follow up on anything that involves him surrendering control.
His speech, on a sixth day of violence that has left over 100 people dead, is unlikely to appease the opposition protesters. More gathered in Change Square in the capital Sanaa on Sunday where again the situation descended into violence.
Yemeni medical officials said at least 18 people were wounded when government troops opened fire on the protesters.
Since Saleh’s return there has been a surge in violence with some commentators fearing all-out civil war.