Hundreds of Ukrainian veterans from the Soviet war in Afghanistan, along with rescue workers from the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear accident, have protested against plans to cut their benefits.
Violence broke out as some tried to enter parliamentary buildings. Government austerity measures are facing strong public opposition.
Wires > News
- 01:10 CET Niger says kills 12 Boko Haram fighters in gun battle
- 23:27 CET Canada’s Trudeau defends assisted suicide bill as deadline nears
- 23:20 CET First tropical storm of year to threaten U.S. heads for South…
- 22:01 CET Vintage plane crashed in Hudson River during emergency landing…
- 20:01 CET Chile President Bachelet testifies in tax probe into…
- 19:37 CET German Protestant bishop wants Islam classes in all state schools
- 19:36 CET Iraqi Sunni politicians reject visit by Iran’s Soleimani to Falluja
- 19:26 CET Pope meets children, says migrants ‘not dangerous, but in danger’