Russian President Dmitry Medvedev toured the Bolshoi Theatre on Tuesday, six years after it shut its doors for renovation.
Medvedev watched a rehearsal of the Tchaikovsky ballet ‘Sleeping Beauty’, which stars the Bolshoi’s prima ballerina Svetlana Zakharova, who is also an MP for the ruling United Russia party.
The theatre, a Moscow landmark built in 1776, closed in 2005 and the revamp suffered from a number of delays.
Restoring the Bolshoi came at an estimated cost of at least 485 million euros.
New interior panels are made of a rare pine decorated with real gold. An advanced sound and lighting system has also been installed.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
EU Commission to call for visa-free travel for Turks
Australia votes on July 2 after PM Turnbull calls election
Brazil’s top prosecutor requests probe into Dilma Rousseff’s role in Petrobras scandal.
Trump is Republican presumptive nominee after crushing Cruz in Indiana
Wildfire triggers emergency evacuation in Alberta
Wires > News
- 11:32 CET Croatia outlaws the rubber stamp in red-tape crackdown
- 11:31 CET North Korea hails anti-smoking progress; leader Kim keeps puffing
- 11:25 CET U.S. gathers allies on next steps in Islamic State fight
- 11:12 CET Russia to add three new military divisions to counter NATO -…
- 10:59 CET Islamic State must be pushed back in northern Syria – Turkish…
- 10:41 CET Air raids hit east of Damascus after ‘calm’ expires
- 10:38 CET Three Red Cross workers kidnapped in Congo by suspected rebels
- 10:05 CET Pakistan army launches inquiry into political worker’s death