Forces from the provisional Libyan government have raided the Tripoli home of a family said to be key Gaddafi allies.
They arrested four brothers suspected of planning bomb attacks in the capital.
Neighbours joined in as government forces opened fire on the house using artillery and assault rifles.
Some reportedly wanted to exact vigilante justice on the brothers but were prevented from doing so.
Libya’s new rulers, still based in Benghazi, are locked in increasingly drawn-out battles to dislodge Gaddafi loyalists from several towns.
Fighters near the front line close to Sirte say they cannot defeat his forces there because they are not receiving enough ammunition. But after being pushed back at the weekend, they say they are again approaching the town’s eastern gate.
Residents fleeing Sirte said they had been living under a state of siege and had been prevented from leaving by Gaddafi loyalists.
At least five anti-Gaddafi fighters were killed in the latest fighting. Others met heavy resistance, 50 kilometres east of Sirte, and said they were unable to respond due to a lack of firepower.
Away from the battlefield, there was a boost for the interim government when the African Union said it was recognising the National Transitional Council, ending a long-standing relationship with Gaddafi.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Putin promises to hunt down killers of opposition figure Boris Nemtsov
- 2Japan: Was brutal murder of boy, 13, inspired by ISIL?
- 3‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 4Ukraine: Full ceasefire maintained in some areas, Kyiv reports
- 5Right-wing Northern League holds rally in centre of Rome
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Russian opposition politician Boris Nemtsov shot dead in Moscow
- 3Fierce anti-Kremlin critic Boris Nemtsov shot dead in Moscow
- 4Woman missing at sea after freak waves at Game of Thrones set location
- 5Thousands rally in Athens as Syriza faces backlash over bailout
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 7Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 12Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 13Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 14Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 15Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 16Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 17‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20‘Europe’s interests come first’, says new Greek government | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 07:09 CET U.S.-Israel ties fraying over Netanyahu speech, Iran talks
- 00:26 CET Netanyahu takes Iran campaign to Jerusalem holy site
- 23:23 CET Russians to march in memory of murdered critic of Putin
- 22:45 CET Police in Germany’s Bremen heighten security citing possible…
- 20:11 CET Lorry kills protester at roadblock in southern Brazil
- 20:10 CET Kurdish rebel leader in Turkey calls for disarmament congress
- 18:51 CET Women protest on last day of Rio IOC meetings
- 18:36 CET Italy anti-immigrant Northern League rallies against Renzi