Forces from the provisional Libyan government have raided the Tripoli home of a family said to be key Gaddafi allies.
They arrested four brothers suspected of planning bomb attacks in the capital.
Neighbours joined in as government forces opened fire on the house using artillery and assault rifles.
Some reportedly wanted to exact vigilante justice on the brothers but were prevented from doing so.
Libya’s new rulers, still based in Benghazi, are locked in increasingly drawn-out battles to dislodge Gaddafi loyalists from several towns.
Fighters near the front line close to Sirte say they cannot defeat his forces there because they are not receiving enough ammunition. But after being pushed back at the weekend, they say they are again approaching the town’s eastern gate.
Residents fleeing Sirte said they had been living under a state of siege and had been prevented from leaving by Gaddafi loyalists.
At least five anti-Gaddafi fighters were killed in the latest fighting. Others met heavy resistance, 50 kilometres east of Sirte, and said they were unable to respond due to a lack of firepower.
Away from the battlefield, there was a boost for the interim government when the African Union said it was recognising the National Transitional Council, ending a long-standing relationship with Gaddafi.
Latest world news
Ex-Chad president sentenced to life in prison for crimes against humanity
German weekend football dominated by AfD chief’s ‘racist’ Boateng comment
Germany: Storm leaves several dead including teenage girl and firefighter
Mexican footballer Alan Pulido ‘very well’ after kidnap ordeal ends
Washington pays tribute to US military casualties at Memorial Day concert
Wires > News
- 13:45 CET Philippine troops kill 54 Islamist militants in the south
- 13:44 CET Germany plans draft law on nuclear storage costs in August
- 13:43 CET Brazil’s anti-corruption minister criticizes Petrobras probe -…
- 13:36 CET China protests to Indonesia over seizure of fishing vessel
- 13:33 CET Japan puts military on alert for possible North Korea missile…
- 13:33 CET Suspected al Shabaab fighters kill 3 village elders in Kenya -…
- 13:32 CET German police hold flights at Cologne-Bonn airport over security…
- 13:27 CET Chinese worker wounded in Pakistani bomb attack