21/09/11 15:42 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
September 22, 1984. French President François Mitterand and German Chancellor Helmut Kohl join hands during a World War I memorial at the Douaumont cemetary near Verdun. It was on the fields of Verdun 68 years earlier that more than 300,000 German and French soldiers were killed in an inconclusive battle for just a few kilometres of land. For the memorial ceremony the two leaders stood in the rain and Mitterand – who had fought near Verdun in World War II – extended his hand to Kohl, whose father had also served in the same area during WWI. Kohl and Mitterand forged a close working relationship during the 1980s and the pair were instrumental in developing ambitious pan-European projects such as Europcorps, the Maastricht Treaty and the Euro. The Franco-German partnership is still regarded by many as the engine of European integration.
Also on September 22: Abraham Lincoln issues a preliminary Emancipation Proclamation (1862); Italian-American Italo Marchiony applies for a patent for the ice cream cone (1903); first broadcast of US television sitcom ‘Friends’ (1994).
Born on September 22: Michael Faraday (1791), Ségolène Royal (1953), Andrea Bocelli (1958), Chesney Hawkes (1971).
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Wires > News
- 22:42 CET Colombia to offer tax breaks for development under peace deal
- 22:38 CET Germany’s Merkel signals sober separation from EU ‘partner’ Britain
- 21:00 CET Somali Islamist militants attack hotel in Mogadishu
- 20:40 CET South Sudan forces, armed groups clash, displacing civilians – U.N
- 20:15 CET Belgium arrests two over ‘terrorist’ activity
- 19:58 CET Nine drown when boat capsizes in Kenya
- 19:32 CET U.S. Coast Guard suspends search for Florida family lost at sea
- 19:07 CET Brazil’s Temer says women should retire earlier than men – paper