Four months after its postponement due to Japan’s earthquake and tsunami the Yokohama leg of the Triathlon World Championship Series took place on Monday.
After a two-lap swim in the warm waters of Yokohama Bay the field saddled up for a 40km bike ride.
With no major breakaways, the bunch stayed tightly grouped throughout the eight laps. It was on the 10 kilometre run that the field began to split.
Twelfth place at the start of the trek Joao Silva of Portugal surged clear at the end of the first lap and never looked back as he crossed the line in a time of
1 hour, 49 minutes and 21 seconds for his first world series win.
New Zealand’s Andrea Hewitt outgunned the rest for the second straight time to win the women’s title in Japan.
Despite a minor breakaway on the bike leg of the event a large group of competitors were back together again as they made the transition from wheels to feet.
After a virtuoso performance at last weekend’s Grand Final in Beijing Hewitt was again in fine fettle and powered out of the front to take the win for her third World championship series victory.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 6Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 73D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 8Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 9Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 12Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 13Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 14#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 15Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 16British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 17Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 18The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 19Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 20Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 15:55 CET Serbia manager Advocaat axes misfits Subotic and Ljajic
- 15:41 CET McIlroy named PGA Tour Player of the Year
- 15:39 CET North Korea beat Japan to win women’s football gold
- 14:56 CET Hulk suffers racial abuse in Russian league game
- 14:52 CET Hugo Boss moves to Mercedes from McLaren
- 14:07 CET Nishikori wows sold-out Tokyo crowd
- 14:04 CET Western Sydney beat Seoul to make Champions League final
- 13:33 CET Djokovic maintains perfect record, Wozniacki bundled out