Four months after its postponement due to Japan’s earthquake and tsunami the Yokohama leg of the Triathlon World Championship Series took place on Monday.
After a two-lap swim in the warm waters of Yokohama Bay the field saddled up for a 40km bike ride.
With no major breakaways, the bunch stayed tightly grouped throughout the eight laps. It was on the 10 kilometre run that the field began to split.
Twelfth place at the start of the trek Joao Silva of Portugal surged clear at the end of the first lap and never looked back as he crossed the line in a time of
1 hour, 49 minutes and 21 seconds for his first world series win.
New Zealand’s Andrea Hewitt outgunned the rest for the second straight time to win the women’s title in Japan.
Despite a minor breakaway on the bike leg of the event a large group of competitors were back together again as they made the transition from wheels to feet.
After a virtuoso performance at last weekend’s Grand Final in Beijing Hewitt was again in fine fettle and powered out of the front to take the win for her third World championship series victory.
- 1Business as usual as Blatter joins Putin for World Cup draw
- 2Olympics: New stadium plans to be drawn up for Tokyo 2020
- 3Chapeau Christopher: Froome wins Tour du France
- 4Tour de France: Geschke claims maiden stage win, Froome maintains overall lead
- 5Judge requests new investigation into Jan Ullrich’s drink driving case
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Wires > Sport
- 23:37 CET Maradona says he wants to fight FIFA ‘mafia’
- 21:31 CET Norwich sign Brady from Hull, Liverpool’s Wisdom on loan
- 21:06 CET Southampton sign Caulker on loan after Gardos blow
- 20:25 CET South America’s football body announces reforms to fight graft
- 20:24 CET Anderson takes six to put England in command
- 20:23 CET English FA back Platini’s FIFA presidency bid
- 18:28 CET McIlroy pulls out of Bridgestone Invitational
- 17:39 CET Szczesny moves from Arsenal to AS Roma