Four months after its postponement due to Japan’s earthquake and tsunami the Yokohama leg of the Triathlon World Championship Series took place on Monday.
After a two-lap swim in the warm waters of Yokohama Bay the field saddled up for a 40km bike ride.
With no major breakaways, the bunch stayed tightly grouped throughout the eight laps. It was on the 10 kilometre run that the field began to split.
Twelfth place at the start of the trek Joao Silva of Portugal surged clear at the end of the first lap and never looked back as he crossed the line in a time of
1 hour, 49 minutes and 21 seconds for his first world series win.
New Zealand’s Andrea Hewitt outgunned the rest for the second straight time to win the women’s title in Japan.
Despite a minor breakaway on the bike leg of the event a large group of competitors were back together again as they made the transition from wheels to feet.
After a virtuoso performance at last weekend’s Grand Final in Beijing Hewitt was again in fine fettle and powered out of the front to take the win for her third World championship series victory.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 17US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 18Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 19Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
Wires > Sport
- 00:05 CET Uninspired Sociedad held at Depor on Moyes’ La Liga debut
- 23:51 CET Messi sets La Liga record of 253 goals
- 23:50 CET All Blacks lock Retallick is Player of Year
- 23:10 CET Woods working with new swing teacher Como
- 22:54 CET Pogba scores twice as Juventus romp to another win
- 21:53 CET Chelsea win to stay top as City, United enjoy victories
- 20:51 CET Newcastle win again to continue astonishing rise
- 20:46 CET French mood slumps after doubles defeat