A ban on praying in the street has come into effect in France.
The practice has become common among many Muslims unable to find space in mosques, and it has become a controversial political issue.
In Paris a large disused fire station has been adapted and rented out to two local mosques.
On the first day more than 2,000 worshippers turned up to pray inside, instead of outside in adjoining streets.
Nearby mosques were closed to encourage people to use the new space.
“I can say that all prayers outside the mosques are over. We have undertaken a commitment to the authorities that prayers in the streets are over, and that this room is open to everyone without excluding anybody from other religions,” said a local imam, Mohamed Saleh Hamza.
The fire station is supposed to be a temporary solution while the Muslim community awaits a new mosque in 2013.
A few dozen people protested at the ban, while others continued to pray outside.
The French interior minister says two other cities have problems with street prayers.
In Marseille a hangar put at the disposition of Muslims was clearly not in a fit state.
The practice of praying in the street has been condemned by the National Front leader Marine Le Pen, who has controversially compared it to the Nazi occupation of France.
- 1Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 2Lufthansa fears second Germanwings black box may never be found
- 3Data recorder is key to ending Flight 9525 speculation
- 4Unconfirmed reports and speculation mount over Germanwings crash
- 5Six world powers to make a final push for a deal over Iran’s nuclear programme
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 20Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 19:14 CET Turkish Airlines flight diverted to Morocco after bomb scare
- 19:10 CET Danish Nazi, accused war criminal, dies in Germany
- 18:08 CET Germany says Greece must flesh out reforms to unlock aid
- 17:44 CET U.N. Secretary General troubled by Iraq abuse claims, refugees
- 17:28 CET Niger, Chad forces attack Boko Haram positions on Lake Chad -…
- 16:51 CET Syrian military source alleges Turkish role in Idlib offensive
- 16:37 CET France’s Valls cancels ECB visit for post-election Socialist talks
- 16:31 CET Crash pilot previously had suicidal tendencies – German prosecutors