A ban on praying in the street has come into effect in France.
The practice has become common among many Muslims unable to find space in mosques, and it has become a controversial political issue.
In Paris a large disused fire station has been adapted and rented out to two local mosques.
On the first day more than 2,000 worshippers turned up to pray inside, instead of outside in adjoining streets.
Nearby mosques were closed to encourage people to use the new space.
“I can say that all prayers outside the mosques are over. We have undertaken a commitment to the authorities that prayers in the streets are over, and that this room is open to everyone without excluding anybody from other religions,” said a local imam, Mohamed Saleh Hamza.
The fire station is supposed to be a temporary solution while the Muslim community awaits a new mosque in 2013.
A few dozen people protested at the ban, while others continued to pray outside.
The French interior minister says two other cities have problems with street prayers.
In Marseille a hangar put at the disposition of Muslims was clearly not in a fit state.
The practice of praying in the street has been condemned by the National Front leader Marine Le Pen, who has controversially compared it to the Nazi occupation of France.
- 1Eastern Ukraine: separatists ‘will not push for independence,’ says spokesperson
- 2‘Rampant corruption:’ US orders arrest of senior FIFA executives
- 3Aleksandar Vucic becomes first Serbian leader to visit Albania
- 4Britain’s Queen outlines government priorities during state opening of parliament
- 5UEFA wants FIFA vote to be called off amid corruption turmoil
- 1‘Rampant corruption:’ US orders arrest of senior FIFA executives
- 2Obama denounces Russia’s ‘increasingly aggressive posture’ on Ukraine
- 3Bunny beaten to death live on Danish radio
- 4Chancellor Merkel heads Forbes most powerful women list – again!
- 5Swiss police arrest several senior Fifa executives in a morning raid at a five-star hotel in Zurich
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 8Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 16Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 17Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 18Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 19Recharging without cables: the road ahead for electric cars
- 20eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
Wires > News
- 07:36 CET China cybersecurity plan aims to protect state secrets: official…
- 07:08 CET Leave cancelled for India’s doctors as heat wave kills 1,300
- 07:04 CET U.S. hopes Chinese island-building will spur Asian response
- 06:59 CET Iran, North Korea forging ballistic, nuclear ties – dissidents
- 06:15 CET Chief U.S. negotiator in Iran talks to leave State Dept: NYT
- 06:01 CET Ex-Guantanamo inmate Khadr uncertain about firefight memory – paper
- 05:23 CET World football rocked by U.S., Swiss arrests of officials for graft
- 04:43 CET U.S. military mistakenly ships live anthrax to labs in nine states