A ban on praying in the street has come into effect in France.
The practice has become common among many Muslims unable to find space in mosques, and it has become a controversial political issue.
In Paris a large disused fire station has been adapted and rented out to two local mosques.
On the first day more than 2,000 worshippers turned up to pray inside, instead of outside in adjoining streets.
Nearby mosques were closed to encourage people to use the new space.
“I can say that all prayers outside the mosques are over. We have undertaken a commitment to the authorities that prayers in the streets are over, and that this room is open to everyone without excluding anybody from other religions,” said a local imam, Mohamed Saleh Hamza.
The fire station is supposed to be a temporary solution while the Muslim community awaits a new mosque in 2013.
A few dozen people protested at the ban, while others continued to pray outside.
The French interior minister says two other cities have problems with street prayers.
In Marseille a hangar put at the disposition of Muslims was clearly not in a fit state.
The practice of praying in the street has been condemned by the National Front leader Marine Le Pen, who has controversially compared it to the Nazi occupation of France.
Latest world news
Germany’s AfD party adopts anti-Islam manifesto
Baghdad protesters leave Green Zone but vow to keep up pressure over corruption
National issues highlighted in Europe’s May Day rallies
From Jerusalem to Damascus to Moscow, Orthodox Christians celebrate Easter
Brussels airport departure hall reopens after terror attacks
Wires > News
- 04:25 CET Egyptian police raid press syndicate, arrest two journalists
- 03:32 CET Wary of China’s Indian Ocean activities, U.S., India discuss…
- 03:12 CET Brazil’s Rousseff ups social spending as Senate ruling looms
- 03:08 CET Pope condemns paedophilia as details of girl’s death shock Italy
- 00:46 CET Puerto Rico declares moratorium on Government Development Bank’s…
- 23:05 CET Islamic State boosts attacks in response to territorial losses -…
- 22:43 CET French far-right veteran Le Pen predicts daughter’s failure in…
- 21:49 CET Bomb attack in southeast Turkey wounds 10 troops, Kurdish…