Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan will continue what has been dubbed his ‘Arab Spring’ tour when he arrives in Libya later on Friday.
Erdogan has been keen to assert Turkey’s growing influence in the region after visiting Egypt and Tunisia.
Ihsan Dagi, a professor of international relations at the Middle East Technical University in Ankara, said: “Turkey has managed to combine Islam with democracy and a market economy. The interest in his visit must be analysed in the right way.”
“Erdogan’s popularity has nothing to do with his current policies towards Israel. It is rather to do with Turkey’s economic and democratic performance.”
The Turkish premier will meet with NTC Chairman Mustafa Abdel Jalil in Tripoli and is expected to give a speech in the city’s Martyrs Square.
- 1Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
- 2Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
- 3Migrant crisis becomes hot political issue in Britain and France
- 4Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
- 5Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Wires > News
- 15:38 CET Merkel to run for 4th term in 2017 – Der Spiegel
- 15:08 CET Iraq’s Barzani condemns Turkish bombing that killed civilians -…
- 13:13 CET Syrian Kurdish forces say ‘provocative’ Turkey targeting them
- 13:09 CET Russia’s Lavrov to meet U.S., Saudi counterparts in Qatar
- 12:07 CET Yemeni vice president arrives in Aden – airport official
- 11:27 CET Palestinian youth dies after West Bank clash with Israeli troops
- 10:26 CET Exclusive – Donald Trump’s companies have sought visas to import…
- 08:24 CET Plane debris arrives in France for Malaysia crash investigation