A commuter train has collided with a local bus at a level crossing in Argentina.
At least nine people died in the accident in Buenos Aires. More than 200 were injured. In daylight, the full horror of the crash became clear. The impact of the train reduced the bus to a fraction of its width and wedged it up against the nearby station platform.
The first train derailed and then collided with another. Firefighters faced the challenge of extricating the critically injured and dead from a mass of twisted wreckage.
Some eyewitnesses say the driver was trying to beat the lights by racing across the crossing, but others say the barriers were not working properly.
The bus driver is among those who died.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 63D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 7Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 8Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 9Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 10Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 11Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 12Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 13British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 14Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 15The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 16Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 17#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 18Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 19Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 20euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > News
- 16:14 CET Insight – Libya’s runaway parliament seeks refuge in Tobruk bubble
- 16:13 CET Bahrain to detain, question activist Nabeel Rajab for one week -…
- 15:57 CET Egypt army kills militant commander in Sinai – security sources
- 15:55 CET Ireland to vote on removal of blasphemy law last used in 1855
- 15:35 CET Seven killed in Pakistan passenger bus explosion
- 15:21 CET Nigeria’s Boko Haram ‘leader’ appears in new video – AFP
- 15:03 CET Putin says ‘foolish’ sanctions will not hold back Russia
- 14:54 CET Libyan soldiers killed in Benghazi attacks