A commuter train has collided with a local bus at a level crossing in Argentina.
At least nine people died in the accident in Buenos Aires. More than 200 were injured. In daylight, the full horror of the crash became clear. The impact of the train reduced the bus to a fraction of its width and wedged it up against the nearby station platform.
The first train derailed and then collided with another. Firefighters faced the challenge of extricating the critically injured and dead from a mass of twisted wreckage.
Some eyewitnesses say the driver was trying to beat the lights by racing across the crossing, but others say the barriers were not working properly.
The bus driver is among those who died.
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Kurdish-led militias launch offensive against ISIL-held Raqqa
Paris attacks: victims families seek answers
UN chief Ban voices his disappointment as first World Humanitarian Summit closes
Monsanto rejects Bayer multi-billion dollar bid
US comedian Bill Cosby ordered to stand trial for sexual assault
Wires > News
- 00:50 CET Pakistan can’t confirm Taliban leader is dead, criticises …
- 23:17 CET Daughter of detained Hong Kong bookseller appeals for U.S. help
- 23:01 CET Brazil’s Temer seeks constitutional change to curb public spending
- 22:19 CET Egyptian appeals court cancels five-year jail terms for 47 over…
- 22:11 CET Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- 22:07 CET Myanmar poet’s jail term ‘like from the old days’
- 21:21 CET U.S.-backed Syrian alliance launches new attack near IS capital
- 21:14 CET Two Colombian journalists missing after Spanish reporter vanishes