Dilma Roussef has presided over her first Independence Day Parade as President of Brazil. She and her family watched the traditional military display in the country’s capital, Brasilia.
But behind the pomp and ceremony, day-to-day issues refused to go away.
Hundreds of people wearing clown noses and face paint gathered to protest against corruption in the country. Roussef’s government has been linked to several corruption scandals since she came to power in January. Four ministers have resigned.
The demonstrators used mops and buckets in a metaphorical attempt to clean up the steps of Congress.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 5Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 6Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 7British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 8Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 9Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 10Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 17Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 18International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 04:58 CET China to pitch high-speed trains to California
- 04:20 CET Canada police kill ‘radicalised’ driver after he rams two soldiers
- 04:12 CET Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow business jet accident
- 03:23 CET Turkey to let Iraqi Kurds reinforce Kobani as U.S. drops arms to…
- 02:31 CET Panama arrests supreme court judge on suspicion of corruption
- 02:03 CET Unfinished war in Sri Lanka threatens paradise regained
- 01:54 CET South Sudan sexual violence ‘rampant,’ two-year-old raped – U.N.
- 01:34 CET Polls shows Rousseff gaining momentum as Brazil election nears