Famine in Somalia has spread to engulf three quarters of the country’s regions according to the United Nations. Four million Somalis are now going hungry. The UN says hundreds are dying each day and at least half of them are children. It describes a record rate of malnutrition among youngsters.
The war-ravaged country was officially declared a famine zone in July and more than half of the population are now affected.
The UN’s humanitarian coordinator for Somalia, Mark Bowden, said “The entire Bay region has now been declared a famine area. So there are now six famine areas in Somalia, up from five. In these areas there are some 750,000 people who are affected by famine conditions. This is an increase from the July figure of 350,000 people.”
Somalia is at the centre of the worst famine to hit the entire Horn of Africa for 20 years. More than 13 million people are in the grip of the crisis.
The UN’s World Food Programme is shipping food and specialised nutritional products into neighbouring Ethiopia and into Kenya as well. Already trying to deal with their own drought problems, those countries are also witnessing an influx of refugees.
- 1‘Tourists go home’ say Spanish locals in backlash to holiday boom
- 2Fears grow for missing Japanese boy left in woods as punishment
- 3Belgium facing more strike chaos
- 4EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
- 5More transport chaos in France in standoff over labour reforms
Latest world news
Americans warned Euro 2016 and other major events could be terror targets this Summer – State Department
Golden State set up rematch of 2015 NBA finals after beating Oklahoma in decisive game seven
French strikes multiply as Euro 2016 nears
Public sector strike heightens industrial strife in Belgium
Migrant death toll in Mediterranean over past week ‘rises to 880’
Wires > News
- 17:50 CET Looming EU referendum casts shadow for British retirees in Spain
- 17:47 CET Turkey’s Erdogan says German law on Armenian genocide could damage…
- 17:45 CET In South Africa, boys more likely to be sexually abused than girls…
- 17:40 CET U.S. warns citizens of possible terrorist attacks in Europe
- 17:00 CET Attempted North Korea missile launch fails – South Korea
- 16:51 CET African envoys say Egyptian called sub-Saharan Africa ‘dogs and…
- 16:42 CET Turkey’s Erdogan says unsure what ‘first step’ Moscow wants to…
- 16:15 CET Doll confusion delays Israel-bound flight from Cyprus