Germany’s chancellor Angela Merkel is being lauded as the world’s most powerful woman again being crowned for the fifth time in six years by Forbes magazine.
It is a return to the top spot after losing her place to Michelle Obama last year.
It puts the German leader ahead of the US secretary of state Hillary Clinton, Brazil’s president Dilma Rousseff and the head of the IMF Christine Lagarde. Lady Gaga is in 11th place.
According to Forbes Merkel is seen as the leader of the EU. But her lofty position on the international scene is not reflected at home where she has been taking flak from the opposition, the markets and increasingly her own party.
Merkel’s crowning came as her one-time political mentor Helmut Kohl wrote disparagingly that Germany’s European and foreign policy is erratic and lacking direction.
Merkel dismissed the criticisms saying the comments were aimed at German politics as a whole and not her specifically.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Iraq intensifies assault on ISIL stronghold, Tikrit
- 2[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 3Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 4‘No survivors’ as 33 people are confirmed dead in Ukraine mine blast
- 5Germany’s Merkel rebuffs talk of new Greek bailout
- 1Australian drug smugglers Chan and Sukumaran moved to ‘Indonesia’s Alcatraz’
- 2Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 3[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 4Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage
- 5Driving the future: the highlights of Press Day at the Geneva Motor Show
- 1Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 2‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 3Australian drug smugglers Chan and Sukumaran moved to ‘Indonesia’s Alcatraz’
- 4[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 5Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 18Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 19Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 06:37 CET China signals “new normal” with lower annual growth target
- 05:30 CET AbbVie to buy cancer drug maker Pharmacyclics in $21 billion deal
- 04:48 CET Insight – M&S breaks with tradition to get more agile on style
- 04:47 CET UK gives oligarch Fridman seven days to argue against forced North…
- 01:35 CET China aims for around 7 percent economic growth in 2015-Premier Li
- 00:19 CET McDonald’s USA to phase out human antibiotics from chicken supply
- 23:43 CET Apple to delay larger iPad production till September – report
- 23:00 CET Bank of England says fraud office investigating liquidity auctions