A train crash in Poland has killed one person and left more than 40 others wounded. Part of the train derailed, landing on its side.
Around 280 passengers were travelling on the intercity train from the capital Warsaw to Katowice when the accident happened at just after 4pm local time.
Robert was one of the passengers who escaped unhurt: “I was in the first carriage, the first compartment behind the locomotive. Suddenly it felt like the train changed track. I think it was going too fast. All the carriages started to fall down.”
The train came off the tracks near the central Polish city of Piotrkow Trybunalski, about two hours after it left Warsaw.
The death toll has been revised down. Initial reports suggested four people had been killed. Those travelling in the first carriage suffered the worst injuries, and some were taken to local hospital by helicopter.
Prime Minister Donald Tusk is expected to visit the scene. The cause of the accident is not yet known.
- 1Simplify MPs expenses to improve transparency, says campaigner
- 2Belgium gives everyone radiation protection pills
- 3Venezuela’s second city looted
- 4Berlin and Vienna pressure Rome to take responsibility for migrants
- 5A leading German politician says the country’s mosques should come under state control
Latest world news
Iraq: al Sadr supporters storm Green Zone and parliament
Drastic cuts in EU mobile roaming charges come into effect
Germany: hundreds arrested as anti-immigrant AfD congress starts
Rescue teams keep searching after deadly Kenya collapse
Ireland: Minority government deal breaks political deadlock
Wires > News
- 14:55 CET Afghan forces launch push against Taliban
- 14:51 CET Air strikes pound Syrian city of Aleppo, death toll climbs
- 14:42 CET China, Japan more upbeat on ties but challenges remain
- 13:31 CET Cries heard as rescuers search rubble of Nairobi building, at…
- 12:53 CET Left-wing protesters clash with German police before right-wing…
- 12:44 CET Italy merchant ship rescues 26 migrants off Libya, others feared…
- 12:36 CET Russia defends intercept of U.S. reconnaissance plane over Baltic
- 12:23 CET Bomb attack on Shi’ite pilgrims in Baghdad kills at least 19 -…