“The worst unrest seen in the northern city of Manchester for 30 years” – that was the verdict of Manchester’s senior police officer after a night of looting and vandalism.
Hooded youths broke into shops and took what they wanted in copy cat behaviour of the previous night’s events in London.
Locals were warned to avoid Manchester city centre and workers were advised to hurry home before nightfall.
Police arrested dozens of individuals and vowed to detain more after studying CCTV video recordings in the days ahead to identify suspects.
In Salford in Greater Manchester, youths took on riot police although no injuries were reported.
Birmingham saw a second night of unrest in which cars were burned and stores raided, but this time the police response was swift.
Elsewhere a police station was fire bombed by a group of 40 or so males in the city of Nottingham.
After the troubles in London, West Midlands police had prepared contingency plans with 400 dedicated officers working extended shifts across the region in addition to local officers to protect communities.
- 1Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 2Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 3Faster internet speeds for Europe from Microsoft and Facebook
- 4Austria launches probe into alleged postal vote irregularities
- 5Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
Faster internet speeds for Europe from Microsoft and Facebook
Russia says Savchenko exchange deal was not linked to Minsk accords
Donald Trump wins enough delegates to clinch Republican nomination
Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
Austria launches probe into alleged postal vote irregularities
Wires > News
- 01:31 CET Judge seals all video depositions in Clinton email case -The Hill
- 01:30 CET France sends underwater probes to EgyptAir search zone
- 01:17 CET Panama’s top court seeks extradition of ex-president Martinelli…
- 00:46 CET Pentagon says China aircraft intercept violated 2015 agreement
- 00:25 CET Nigeria minister wants Delta grievances addressed as Chevron…
- 00:20 CET Ivory Coast arrests man suspected of link to Grand Bassam hotel…
- 00:10 CET Guinea Bissau president names Baciro Dja as prime minister
- 00:06 CET Vietnam restricted access to Facebook during Obama visit -…