“The worst unrest seen in the northern city of Manchester for 30 years” – that was the verdict of Manchester’s senior police officer after a night of looting and vandalism.
Hooded youths broke into shops and took what they wanted in copy cat behaviour of the previous night’s events in London.
Locals were warned to avoid Manchester city centre and workers were advised to hurry home before nightfall.
Police arrested dozens of individuals and vowed to detain more after studying CCTV video recordings in the days ahead to identify suspects.
In Salford in Greater Manchester, youths took on riot police although no injuries were reported.
Birmingham saw a second night of unrest in which cars were burned and stores raided, but this time the police response was swift.
Elsewhere a police station was fire bombed by a group of 40 or so males in the city of Nottingham.
After the troubles in London, West Midlands police had prepared contingency plans with 400 dedicated officers working extended shifts across the region in addition to local officers to protect communities.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Russian opposition politician Boris Nemtsov shot dead in Moscow
- 2‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 3Thousands rally in Athens as Syriza faces backlash over bailout
- 4Syrians start to return to Kobani as Kurds fight off ISIL
- 5Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 1Kyiv’s suspension of gas flow to eastern Ukraine ‘smells of genocide’ says Putin
- 2Ukraine crisis: Ceasefire appears to take hold
- 3New, huge black hole challenges pre-existing theories
- 4Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 5Amnesty report blasts UN, governments for not doing protective duty
- 1Dictating fashion? The strange and unique styles of world leaders
- 2Birdman, Julianne Moore and Eddie Redmayne savour Oscar success
- 3New Gothic 20 euro note revealed
- 4Amnesty calls on permanent members of UN Security Council to lose their veto
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 5English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 6Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 7Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 8Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 9International news | euronews, latest international news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 14New Greek government unveiled with radical economist named Finance Minister | euronews, world news
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Dark matter, dark energy: ESA and CERN set to unravel mysteries of the cosmos | euronews, space
- 17Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 18Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 19World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
- 20Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
Wires > News
- 02:36 CET Russian opposition leader Nemtsov shot dead in Moscow
- 02:32 CET Mexico captures most wanted drug kingpin, former teacher ‘La Tuta’
- 02:18 CET U.N. condemns Islamic State’s ‘barbaric terrorist acts’ in Iraq
- 01:16 CET Earthquake shakes Guatemala City – Reuters witness
- 00:51 CET Iran, six powers to hold nuclear talks in Switzerland on March 5 -…
- 22:53 CET U.S. begins vetting Syrian rebels for military training – Pentagon
- 22:19 CET Obama to host Afghan President Ghani at White House in March
- 20:50 CET UAE and Kuwait to reopen embassies in Yemen’s south, backing Hadi