The Chinese government has called on the United States to address its debt problems and ensure the safety of China’s dollar assets.
As the largest single creditor of the US China has become alarmed at the state of American finances and attempts to to restructure its debt.
Their concerns may have been heightened by the historic downgrading on Friday of the US’s top-tier credit rating by the agency Standard and Poor.
On Saturday China criticised what it called the short-sighted wrangling in the United States, and it’s calling for the introduction of a new, stable and secured global reserve currency to replace the dollar as the world’s financial benchmark.
Latest world news
Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
Reckitt Benckiser apologises over South Korea deadly disinfectant
US cruise ship docks in Havana over 40 years since the last sailed the Florida Straits
Wires > News
- 00:30 CET Obama says Chinese-led trade deal shows need for TPP – Washington…
- 00:29 CET U.S. says Iraq’s PM in ‘strong position’ amid political unrest
- 00:24 CET NATO weighs four battalions in Eastern states to deter Russia -…
- 00:17 CET Argentine court probes ex-president Fernandez over new case – media
- 23:04 CET U.S. tells Pakistan it will have to fund F-16s itself
- 22:14 CET Leader of Canada’s separatist Parti Quebecois steps down
- 22:13 CET Emotional return as first U.S. cruise in decades reaches Cuba
- 22:11 CET EU executive to propose visa-free travel for Turks on Wednesday…