A polar bear attacked a group of British campers on a Norwegian archipelago, killing a 17-year-old boy and seriously injuring four other people.
Among the wounded was Patrick Flinders. His father, Terry, explained: “Around the tents, they have trip wires with bullets in them to stop the polar bears trying to get in. If they trip it, bullet go up in the air and scares them away. This time it didn’t happen apparently.”
The expedition to the island of Spitsbergen in the Arctic was designed to help youngsters develop self-confidence. But it cost Horatio Chapple, who planned to become a doctor, his life.
An investigation into why security measures failed is underway and the injured have been flown to hospital.
- 1Putin adds diplomatic strand to bolster Syrian air strikes
- 2Russian cruise missiles strikes prompt global aviation officials to issue safety alerts
- 3Russia tries to reassure Saudi Arabia over Syria air strikes
- 4Iraqi military claims to have killed several senior ISIL members including leader al – Baghdadi
- 5Belarus election: Lukashenko wins landslide of more than 80 percent – exit polls
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 3Latest News Bulletin
- 4At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 5Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 6[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 10Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 11Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 12Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 13Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 14Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 15[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 16Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
- 17Fifa suspends Blatter, Platini and Valcke
- 18Kicked down in Hungary, saved by Spain
- 19Catalan president Artur Mas charged with organising illegal independence referendum
- 20Hungary’s army can shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at refugees
Wires > News
- 10:40 CET Myanmar election body held meeting on possible postponement of…
- 10:38 CET Japan may halt funds for UNESCO over Nanjing row with China
- 10:15 CET Package detonated at site of Turkey bombings in apparent false…
- 10:03 CET Four miners killed in a Bosnian mine accident
- 08:33 CET China opens bribery trial of ally to disgraced security chief
- 07:44 CET Growing Japan row over U.S. air base presents election risk for …
- 06:48 CET China’s army sends vehicles seized in graft crackdown to border…
- 04:19 CET New Zealand police arrest man over infant formula contamination…