At least ten Somalis – refugees among them – have reportedly been killed in a food riot in a camp near Mogadishu. Shots were fired when troops and locals raided truckloads of aid supplies destined for famine-hit areas.
Dozens of people are said to have been wounded in the disorder at Badbaado Camp near the Somali capital. Eyewitnesses say a soldier with the aid convoy is one of those killed. It has been claimed that supplies of maize and oil have been looted.
Around 100,000 refugees have arrived at the camp on the outskirts of Mogadishu in the last two months. Many more are arriving in the capital every day, hoping to escape the brunt of the worst drought to hit the Horn of Africa in decades.
- 1‘Tourists go home’ say Spanish locals in backlash to holiday boom
- 2Fears grow for missing Japanese boy left in woods as punishment
- 3Belgium facing more strike chaos
- 4More transport chaos in France in standoff over labour reforms
- 5EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
Latest world news
Public sector strike heightens industrial strife in Belgium
Migrant death toll in Mediterranean over past week ‘rises to 880’
EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
World No Tobacco Day: Plain packaging push to help smokers kick the habit
Brazil anti-corruption minister quits after ‘trying to spoil’ corruption probe
Wires > News
- 15:55 CET French court rules woman can use dead husband’s sperm
- 15:54 CET Libyan security forces pushing Islamic State back from vicinity of…
- 15:38 CET Italy arrests 16 suspected boat migrant traffickers
- 15:32 CET Almost 46 million people trapped in slavery with North Korea…
- 15:25 CET More Germans now moving from West to East
- 15:23 CET EU ships in Libyan waters would undermine Tripoli government -…
- 15:10 CET Former Miss Turkey sentenced to 14-months jail for insulting…
- 15:02 CET German minister says shouldn’t discuss ‘fantasy proposals’ for…