At least ten Somalis – refugees among them – have reportedly been killed in a food riot in a camp near Mogadishu. Shots were fired when troops and locals raided truckloads of aid supplies destined for famine-hit areas.
Dozens of people are said to have been wounded in the disorder at Badbaado Camp near the Somali capital. Eyewitnesses say a soldier with the aid convoy is one of those killed. It has been claimed that supplies of maize and oil have been looted.
Around 100,000 refugees have arrived at the camp on the outskirts of Mogadishu in the last two months. Many more are arriving in the capital every day, hoping to escape the brunt of the worst drought to hit the Horn of Africa in decades.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
Syrian army announces 48-hour ‘regime of calm’ in Aleppo
Fires threaten to engulf Canadian city
Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
“Life was better then” – Serbs commemorate death of Marshal Tito
Wires > News
- 22:50 CET Turkish ruling party preparing to replace PM Davutoglu – officials
- 21:09 CET Merkel says working for U.S.-EU trade deal this year
- 21:06 CET ‘Three Amigos’ Obama, Trudeau, Pena Nieto to meet June 29
- 19:14 CET Russia arrests groups for planning attacks in Moscow region -…
- 18:55 CET U.S., allies to do more to combat Islamic State – Carter
- 18:52 CET ‘Nasty’ wildfire spurs evacuation of 88,000 in Canadian city
- 18:43 CET NATO approves Israeli representation to its headquarters
- 18:38 CET U.S. Navy SEAL killed in Iraq was part of ‘quick reaction force’