A series of attacks in Afghanistan has claimed more victims. In the northern province of Kunduz a local intelligence chief was killed by a car bomb, according to the police. Three children were reportedly wounded.
Meanwhile NATO says two of its forces have died in separate attacks. One was killed in the east of the country; the other was shot in Kunduz by a man dressed as an Afghan policeman.
Once peaceful, the area is at the heart of a new campaign by insurgents seeking to extend their influence beyond their traditional southern heartland.
Earlier this week four Afghan security guards working for a German company were killed in an attack in which three suicide bombers also died.
At least six NATO troops have now been killed this month. On Wednesday the coalition said two soldiers had been killed by a roadside bomb.
In the south, commanders have claimed significant success against the Taliban, aided by an additional 30,000 US troops.
But the insurgents have proved adept at changing locations and tactics. Police chiefs in the north have been killed by bombs, while there has been a spate of “rogue” killings by infiltrators among Afghan security forces.
The first phase of NATO’s gradual transition process to Afghan forces began last month.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.