Now Reading:

Mubarak denies charges as trial begins in Cairo

world news

Mubarak denies charges as trial begins in Cairo


Deposed Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak has denied all the charges against him at the opening of his trial in Cairo.
The 83-year-old answered the judge from the ambulance stretcher on which he had been wheeled into the defendants’ cage earlier.
Accused of involvement in the killing of protesters and corruption charges, he confirmed his presence and said: “I entirely deny all those accusations.”
Also denying any wrongdoing are his sons Alaa and Gamal. Their father ruled Egypt for nearly 30 years before being forced from power in February.
Mubarak was flown in from Sharm el-Sheikh. He has been detained in hospital in the Red Sea resort, receiving treatment for a heart condition.
Egypt’s ex-interior minister Habib al-Adly is also appearing. Already been jailed in a separate corruption case, he will be back in court on Thursday.
The hearing for Mubarak and his sons has been adjourned until August 15. In the meantime, the former president will be detained in a hospital on the outskirts of Cairo.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article