Security forces have stormed Cairo’s Tahrir Square, clearing away hardcore demonstrators who refused to abandon their tent camp during Ramadan.
Egypt’s main protest groups had already said they were suspending their sit-in for the Muslim holy month. But intervention from the army and riot police was needed to evict several hundred activists who had remained in the iconic square. Arrests and injuries were reported.
The army moved in just two days before former President Hosni Mubarak is due to go on trial over protesters’ deaths during the uprising that drove him from power in February.
The latest occupation of the square had started on July 8 amid demonstrators’ demands for faster reforms and a deeper purge of Mubarak-era officials.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.