Now Reading:

Judge sets date for UK phone hacking inquiry

world news

Judge sets date for UK phone hacking inquiry


An inquiry into Britain’s phone-hacking scandal will hold its first hearings in September, the judge leading the investigation said Thursday.

Lord Justice Leveson has been asked to investigate the relationship between the media, police and politicians, as well as press ethics.

Its findings are set to be published in autumn next year.

Prime Minister David Cameron ordered the inquiry after News of the World reporters allegedly hacked the phones of a murdered schoolgirl and dead British servicemen.

MPs then summoned News Corporation CEO Rupert Murdoch and his son James to answer allegations that the tabloid’s newsroom was out of control.

Former editor Rebekah Brooks had previously blamed earlier hacking allegations on a rogue reporter.

Murdoch ordered the closure of the 168-year-old newspaper after a public outcry and a boycott from advertisers.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article