Now Reading:

Man admits to Norway massacre but denies guilt

world news

Man admits to Norway massacre but denies guilt


The 32-year-old Norwegian man suspected of Friday’s Oslo massacre has confessed to the bombing and shooting but has denied criminal responsibility.
Anders Behring Breivik appeared in a 35-minute court hearing that was closed to the press and public. A judge later said he had ruled that Breivik should be detained until September 26 as there is a risk he could tamper with evidence. He will be held in solitary confinement and denied access to visitors, letters and newspapers for the next four weeks.
Breivik told the court that he was working with two other cells in his organisation, having previously told police he was working alone.
The judge revealed that Breivik admitted planting a bomb outside the offices of the Norwegian prime minister. The blast killed at least seven people.
He also confessed to the shooting spree on the holiday island of Utoeya, where hundreds of adolescents were gathered for a Labour party youth meeting. Around 85 people were shot dead in that attack.
But Breivik pleads not guilty, claiming he acted to prevent a Muslim takeover of Europe and wanted to give “a sharp signal to the people.” He added he wanted to damage the Labour party and prevent it recruiting as a punishment, he said, for “treason” against Norway for allowing mass immigration.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article