Many people are used to the concept of counterfeit goods, whether it be fake Prada handbags, Rolex watches or even smartphones. But in the small Chinese city of Kunming, scammers have gone a step further and faked an entire Apple Store.
The conmen had certainly done their homework and gone to great lengths to recreate the feel of the real thing. It had seemingly authentic signs, wooden benches and even the trademark winding staircase. The staff, too, looked entirely real, wearing blue t-shirts, and the unmistakable staff badges. The store was being used to sell counterfeit Apple goods, such as iphones and ipads.
The scam was rumbled by an American blogger who goes by the name BirdAbroad. She’d visited the store and admits to being taken in at first, as it looked entirely authentic. She believed it to be so convincing that even the staff thought they were truly working for Apple.
She described the store as “a beautiful rip-off” but said there were some things wrong with it: “The stairs were poorly made. The walls hadn’t been painted properly. Apple never writes “Apple Store” on it’s signs, it just puts up the glowing, iconic fruit. The name tags around the necks of the friendly salespeople didn’t actually have names on them – just an Apple logo and the anonymous designation “Staff”.”
The final nail in the coffin came when a simple search on the Apple website relieved no such store in Kunming. It was a fake, a beautiful fake, but according to the blogger, only the best of many such attempts to fake official apple shops in China.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms
- 2NATO accuses Russian bombers of flying close to its airspace
- 3France ‘to deliver’ Mistral warship, says Russia
- 4France says ‘conditions not met’ for Mistral warship delivery to Russia
- 5Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 3International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 4Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 5European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9What to expect in “The World of Ice and Fire,” George R.R. Martin’s new book | euronews, world news
- 10Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 11Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 15Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 19euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 20Maritime drama deepens as Sweden extends ‘mystery submarine’ search | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 19:52 CET Situation in Syria is ‘appalling,’ getting worse – U.N.
- 19:32 CET Germany’s new road toll to cost foreign drivers up to 130 euros
- 19:06 CET Sweden recognises Palestinian state
- 19:05 CET Clashes erupt as Israeli police kill Palestinian
- 18:43 CET No hope for survivors in Sri Lanka landslide, over 100 dead
- 18:39 CET Two dead, several injured after plane crashes at Kansas airport
- 18:11 CET Political crisis in Kosovo thwarts president’s historic Serbia…
- 18:08 CET Ukraine, Russia, EU likely to agree gas supply deal Thursday -…