Many people are used to the concept of counterfeit goods, whether it be fake Prada handbags, Rolex watches or even smartphones. But in the small Chinese city of Kunming, scammers have gone a step further and faked an entire Apple Store.
The conmen had certainly done their homework and gone to great lengths to recreate the feel of the real thing. It had seemingly authentic signs, wooden benches and even the trademark winding staircase. The staff, too, looked entirely real, wearing blue t-shirts, and the unmistakable staff badges. The store was being used to sell counterfeit Apple goods, such as iphones and ipads.
The scam was rumbled by an American blogger who goes by the name BirdAbroad. She’d visited the store and admits to being taken in at first, as it looked entirely authentic. She believed it to be so convincing that even the staff thought they were truly working for Apple.
She described the store as “a beautiful rip-off” but said there were some things wrong with it: “The stairs were poorly made. The walls hadn’t been painted properly. Apple never writes “Apple Store” on it’s signs, it just puts up the glowing, iconic fruit. The name tags around the necks of the friendly salespeople didn’t actually have names on them – just an Apple logo and the anonymous designation “Staff”.”
The final nail in the coffin came when a simple search on the Apple website relieved no such store in Kunming. It was a fake, a beautiful fake, but according to the blogger, only the best of many such attempts to fake official apple shops in China.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 5‘Misleading at best and flat out wrong at worst’ US reacts to Greenpeace TTIP leak
Latest world news
Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
Reckitt Benckiser apologises over South Korea deadly disinfectant
US cruise ship docks in Havana over 40 years since the last sailed the Florida Straits
Wires > News
- 01:41 CET Brazil prosecutor asks for probe of opposition leader Neves
- 01:20 CET Emotional return as first U.S. cruise in decades reaches Cuba
- 00:30 CET Obama says Chinese-led trade deal shows need for TPP – Washington…
- 00:29 CET U.S. says Iraq’s PM in ‘strong position’ amid political unrest
- 00:24 CET NATO weighs four battalions in Eastern states to deter Russia -…
- 00:17 CET Argentine court probes ex-president Fernandez over new case – media
- 23:04 CET U.S. tells Pakistan it will have to fund F-16s itself
- 22:14 CET Leader of Canada’s separatist Parti Quebecois steps down