A second top British policeman has resigned over the phone hacking scandal.
Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner John Yates, the UK’s top counter-terrorism officer, had been criticised for failing to investigate the allegations properly despite new evidence.
On Sunday Britain’s top police chief Sir Paul Stephenson stood down over the Met’s links with News International, and in particular its hiring as an adviser of a former deputy editor of the now defunct tabloid the News of the World.
Parliament will convene on Wednesday for an extra day before the summer break to debate the scandal that has now embroiled journalists, the police and the prime minister – much criticised over his ex communications chief, a former News of the World editor.
David Cameron, who is now on a trade mission to Africa, will return to make a statement.
“Above all, what I would say is what matters most is that we ensure a very swift and effective continuity at the Metropolitan Police service so they do not miss a beat in terms of carrying out these vital investigations into what happened in the media and also what happened in the police service,” said the prime minister from South Africa.
Wednesday’s parliamentary session follows opposition demands for more time to consider what MPs are told at committee hearings on Tuesday by the former police chief, as well as Rupert Murdoch and other News International bosses.
Former chief executive Rebekah Brooks has confirmed she will appear before MPs, despite fears that her arrest as part of the phone hacking investigation might severely restrict what she would be able to say.