Northern Ireland’s Darren Clarke arrived back in County Antrim on Monday after a triumphant weekend of golf.
The 42 year old, who clinched the British Open on Sunday, told journalists he had been celebrating so hard he had not even managed to read all the messages of congratulations which have been pouring in via text and email following his win.
Clarke’s victory will rocket him back into the top 100 in the rankings and his stunning performance sees him become the third Northern Irishman to secure one of golf’s four majors in the last 13 months, after his compatriots Rory McIlroy and Graeme McDowell clinched the U.S. Open in 2011 and 2010 respectively.
- 1Sochi 2015: Russia’s expensive Olympic village falling into ruin
- 2Djokovic takes the glory but both he and Nadal take the money in Thailand exhibition
- 3Greek freejumper delights crowds in Santorini in the Redbull Art of Motion 2015 finals
- 4England dumped out of their own World Cup
- 5[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 9Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 16Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 17[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 18Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 19What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 20[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
Wires > Sport
- 21:46 CET El Shaawary confident Italy can get the job done
- 21:20 CET England hunt for crumbs from their own World Cup table
- 21:17 CET Del Bosque able to experiment in final two qualifiers
- 20:00 CET Final pool games loom with last-eight spots up for grabs
- 19:43 CET Ireland favourites but France bullish, says Ouedraogo
- 19:30 CET Jordan beat Asian champions Australia, Iran held
- 19:27 CET Button upbeat on McLaren future, no fear of leaving
- 19:16 CET Poulter proves to be the host with the most…nerves