Now Reading:

Murdoch says sorry as top executives quit

world news

Murdoch says sorry as top executives quit


Friday was a day of apologies and resignations for media mogul Rupert Murdoch.

At his request he met with the parents of Milly Dowler who was murdered in 2002 and allegedly had her phone hacked by the News of the World.

He has written an apology for the paper’s “serious wrong doing”, which will appear in advertisements in his British newspapers.

The chairman of News Corporation spoke to reporters after the private meeting.

“I was appalled to find out what had happened and I apologised and I have nothing further to say,” Murdoch said.

After the apology came the first of two departures. Rebekah Brooks, chief executive of News International, quit bowing to what was seen as public and political pressure.

She had been the News of the World editor at the time of Milly Dowler’s murder.

In New York, the head of Murdoch’s Dow Jones Company also resigned. Les Hinton stepped down after 52 years at News Corp — he headed its UK subsidiary News International between 1995 and 2007.

“I apologise to those hurt by the actions of the News of the World,” he said in a statement.

There was also a denial from Rupert Murdoch that he is poised to separate his newspaper holdings from the rest of News Corp.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article