Now Reading:

Murdoch in London to save BSkyB deal

world news

Murdoch in London to save BSkyB deal


Media baron Rupert Murdoch is at the London headquarters of his newspaper empire to take control of the phone hacking crisis amid fears his 100 percent buy-out of Britain’s biggest pay TV network could be in jeopardy.

The 80-year-old billionaire clutched the final edition of the News of the World, the tabloid he closed this Sunday.

The takeover of BSkyB is subject to government approval, which the opposition Labour party insists should now be overruled or at least delayed.

The UK government has also received 150,000 objections to the purchase from the public.

“The idea that this organisation (News Corp), which engaged in these terrible practices should be allowed to get their 100 percent stake, without the criminal investigation having being completed, frankly that just won’t wash with the public,” said Labour party leader Ed Miliband.

The News of the World, which has been disgraced by a phone hacking scandal that has outraged the British public, was shut down on Sunday.

After 168 years on the news stands, the tabloid’s last headline was simply: “Thank you and goodbye.” At the same time, around 200 staff kissed goodbye to their jobs.

Before the decision to kill the newspaper, there had been widespread calls in the public for a boycott of it. But it is thought some four and a half million copies of the last ever edition were sold as readers rushed to grab a souvenir.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article

world news