July 6, 1947. The AK47 assault rifle goes into production in the Soviet Union. Mikail Kalashnikov began thinking about a design for a new rifle while lying in hospital after being shot in the shoulder after the Battle of Bryansk. After tinkering with a sub-machine gun design he entered a competition to create a rifle that would chamber a 7.62mm round. The rifle needed to be robust enough to operate in the muddy, wet and frozen conditions of the Soviet front line. Inexpensive to manufacture, easy to clean and maintain, reliable and with no patent on the design, the rifle has become by far the most used around the world, with an estimated 100 million in existence today.
Also on July 6: Anne Frank and family go into hiding (1942); John Lennon and Paul McCartney meet for the first time (1957); Malawi declares independence from the UK (1964).
Born on July 6: Bill Haley (1925), George W. Bush, Sylvester Stallone (1946), 50 Cent (1975), Pau Gasol (1980).
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
US college basketball loses coaching legend: Pat Summitt dies, aged 64
IKEA recalls millions of chests and dressers following link to children’s deaths
France: deadly fire engulfs chemical plant near Lyon
Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
Thousands protest in France as Senate approves controversial labour law
Wires > News
- 01:19 CET Dutch PM Rutte wants ‘binding’ assurances over EU’s Ukraine deal
- 01:18 CET As Duterte takes over in Philippines, police killings stir fear
- 00:15 CET Italy, Netherlands propose split U.N. Security Council seat for…
- 00:12 CET Clinton leads Trump by 11 points in U.S. presidential race -…
- 00:09 CET Canada presses China over reports of Hong Kong visa clamp down
- 23:44 CET Exclusive – Trump supporters more likely to view blacks…
- 23:11 CET Women subjected to torture by Mexican police, armed forces – report
- 23:01 CET Emergency call log details horror of Orlando nightclub shooting